Chapter Twenty-Eight

Night Four, London
April 6th 2022

London was and always will be a busy place. You can just about walk through abroad without getting pushed past, or driving down a street without someone honking you. Somehow you would always be in the wrong in a city. The city was always cold too, it had that gloom to it, maybe it was the fact that the city itself, knew it was nothing but acted as a wastage sight for the rich. Houses and buildings always looked immaculate, unlike the roads.

Luke groaned as he woke up from his sleep in the car as they drove over another pothole. His head had hit the side of the car several times already along with the constant stopping and starting. Drivers horns always became a disturbance that he had plugged in his earphones to try and block the city out. Only it just carried on which seemed to piss him off even more.

He sat upright and lifted his feet from the seats and placed them back into the floor. He faced forward and rubbed his face, hoping it would wake him up at least a little. The sun was trying to come through behind the clouds and at times, it did and glared down at the cars and managed to hit Luke in the eye several times.

Luke clenched and unclenched his hand as he stared out at the window in silence. His eyes stinging as they tried to stay open, a yawn constantly escaping his mouth. Luke remembered that tour never used to be this hard, but now he doesn't even know if it's his age, or that they haven't done a world tour in a long time. But Luke found that it was more of the case he was alone at night. Staring out the window on either the plane or in the hotel room at night. He always found his reflection staring back at him at silly hours of the morning. His tired was something he would rather not see.

He fished out for his phone in his back pocket and scrolled through his chats until he found Maeve's name. The last few messages were to do with having Crystal and Eliza sleeping over because just like Luke, she had struggled to sleep.

lu: was it any help having them two stay the night? xx

Mae: I suppose it was better. Still tired but had a few hours of sleep xx

Luke chewed at his lip as he stared at her text message, his thumb hovering over the keypad. He had thoughts racing constantly, but most of them were to do with Maeve and trying to keep her comfortable while he was away.

lu: we could always try calling at night. That might help xx

Mae: maybe. As long as it doesn't keep you awake too long when you have shows to do xx

Luke smiled to himself and liked her message before switching off his phone. The car came to a stop outside the arena and Luke looked up outside and already saw a few fans walking around and starting a mini line. Luke sat up slightly more straight as they sat at the back of the arena.

As Luke climbed out of the car, the spring breeze hit his skin and he immediately shoved his hands in his hoodie pockets. What hadn't helped was the fact that it was still early in the morning. He was quick to move to the back entrance but the air was just as cool in the open space.

The four followed the crew down to the main backstage area to where the dressing rooms were. The wardrobes of each member was already set up and ready to be open when they picked out their outfit for tonight.

Luke immediately took a seat on the long couch and brought his knees to his chest, keeping his hands stuffed into his hoodie and closed his eyes. "Wake me up when private soundcheck begins." Luke mumbled. "Please." He sighed and slowly he fell into a well needed deep sleep.

"Come on Luke. Get up." Ashton groaned as he nudged him awake. Luke slowly opened his eyes and stretched his legs before looking up at Ashton with a glare. "You told us to wake you." Ashton shrugged and walked over to his wardrobe set up his clothes that he wanted out ready.