Heartache Part 2

When we finally arrive at the room I settle down on the couch and she sits next to me folding into my chest crying. I pick her up and shift her onto my lap, holding her to my chest.

What feels like hours pass and Taylor has fallen asleep on my chest with tear stains on her cheeks. I shift and readjust after being stuck in the same position for so long, and then I lean over and kiss her head.

After a few minutes Scott walks back in and Andrea is behind him. She sees Taylor asleep on my chest with tear stains and sends me some serious death glares. I ignore her and continue to rub Taylor's back in hope to relieve at least some of the stress on her body.

"This is all your fault, I hope you know that." Andrea snootily states from the opposite side of the room.

I just ignore her and continue rubbing up and down Taylor's back and looking down at her face.

"I mean if you never came we would have never fought. She would have never left the house."

With this I let out a sigh and looked up at Andrea.

"Look, I understand you do not want me, but I am not here for you. I am here for Taylor. If she doesn't want me I will go away, but until then you and your ideas need to stop. I can handle your threats and death wishes, but that is not what she needs right now. I suggest you figure out what it is you are really wanting because all you are doing is kicking her while she is already down.Which we all know only manages to make everything worse for Taylor." I finish and wipe a tear off Taylor's face.

Andrea remains silent and eventually gets up to go get some coffee. I remain seated still holding Taylor. About 2 minutes after Andrea leaves the doctor walks in.

"Mayer Family?" He asks, making sure he has the right place. I nod my head and he walks over. As he does this I gently shake Taylor awake. She groggily lifts up and rubs her eye.

I kiss her open cheek, "The doctor is here with an update."

Upon hearing this she immediately sits up and pay close attention.

Once he sees that everyone is awake he continues. "Emery had a massive lesion on her spleen from her rub fracturing. We were able to control the breathing but the next 24 hours will be critical as we are unable to estimate how long she was down without oxygen, and as a result do not know how badly she was injured. As for right now, due to everything that is going on to relieve some of the stress on her body she has been placed on a ventilator that is helping her to breathe. We will monitor her closely over the next 24 hours and then discuss what to do further. Emery is stable. However, due to this type of incident and how bad it was we had to report it to CPS (Child Protective Services); someone will be in with you shortly to get your statements."

I nod my head and let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you." After this is said the doctor turns and leaves the room. I look over to Taylor who is shivering and looks like she has seen a ghost. "What's wrong?" I have a question.

"What if they take her away from me?" She asks, looking directly through me.

"Tay, it was an accident that took place in the span of 30 seconds. There is nothing that you could have done differently." I respond.

"But, I wasn't watching her. I could have-" She starts, but I interrupt.

"Stop, you can not watch her every second of the day. She is a toddler. She makes messes and gets into everything. There is nothing you could have done to prevent this."

"Maybe if I didn't argue with my mom, I wouldn't have gotten kicked out." She mumbles.

"Wait... What? Your mom kicked you out?" I ask, shocked.