Invisible

"Taylor Alison Swift, go look on Twitter like RIGHT NOW!" my best friend Abigail nearly screamed into the phone.

"Why are you screaming? Is it good? Wait, is it bad? Scandalous?!" I responded hesitantly.

"Would I be this excited if it was bad?" Abby retorted back, "I mean seriously." I could feel her eyes roll through the phone even though I couldn't physically see them. "Just do it already, Tay, I promise you'll love it."

"Whatever, Abster," I responded knowing the pet name got under her skin. Abby may be sassy but she hated a taste of her own medicine.

    To appease her and out of my own personal intrigue, I grabbed my phone and opened up Twitter. The top search on trending had not only my name in it but also the best guitarist of the modern age. Every rock magazine's bad boy with a "soft side". One of my greatest influences. The one and only, John Clayton Mayer.

    "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!!"

    "I told you so," Abigail mocked me. "Are you gonna doubt me again, Taytay?"

Usually I would have a snarky remark waiting to come out but I was far too deep into my phone screen. It felt like I was scrolling for hours through fans begging us to do a collaboration before I came across the tweet. His tweet. John Mayer's tweet,about me, wanting to know when I had time to record a song he had just finished called 'Half of my Heart'. He wanted to know when I had time.  To say I was freaking out was an understatement.

"What the heck do I say? Do I tweet him back? I don't know what to do."

Abigail groaned on the other end, "Just DM him. Now. Do it."

"Isn't that sketchy? Sliding into his DMs does not sound like the right move. What if he doesn-"

"Oh My God, Taylor shut up. You're freaking out for no reason. Did you even read his tweet? He literally called you the Stevie Nicks to his Tom Petty. If that does not tell you how serious he is, I don't know what would. Take a chance, contact him."

I sighed, "You're right, I shouldn't be freaking out and this is like a once in a lifetime opportunity. However, I can't just DM him. One it's sketchy. Two, it's not professional, I have to talk to my team and they'll contact him or his team for me. As a matter of fact, my manager is calling me now." I put Abigail on hold and answered, Rick Barker, my main manager.

"Hey Taylor, have you checked Twitter recently?" he said as soon as our lines connected.

"Yeah I have, I was about to call you actually..." I trailed off.

"Well, do you want to do the song? It would be huge publicity and could expand your fan base with some of his fans," he tried to convince me to do it, not knowing I already wanted to.

"That's why I was going to contact you, I realllyyyy wanna do it."

"That's good because we've already been in contact with his team and you guys are gonna meet up next week in Dallas."

"Woahhh, you're serious?"

"Dead serious Taylor, start packing. Oh yeah I almost forgot to tell you...we gave him your number he's supposed to contact you sometime in the next few days to work out some kinks that we have no say in. Hope you don't mind. See ya," he hung up before I could protest him giving my number away to, essentially a stranger. Honestly, I did not care because of who it was given to. Forgetting Abby was on the other line, I exhaled and then reread his tweet for the ten-thousandth time: "Waking up to this song idea that won't leave my head. 3 days straight now. That means it's good enough to finish. It's called 'Half of My Heart' and I want to sing it with Taylor Swift. She would make a killer Stevie Nicks in contrast to my Tom Petty of a song." I still could not believe my eyes. Out of the three billion people in the world. He wants me to be on his record.