Chapter 103 - Part Of The Journey Is The End

Over the next couple of days you spend the time keeping an eye on Morgan. As well as Pepper. Telling stories about the Avengers, your friends that came back, basically any story that involved Tony.

The first night she crawled into your bed, just like always, but you convinced her to start going that with her mum. Pepper's resolve would often fade when she thought no one was looking, but you were too observant to miss it.

Finally the day of the funeral comes. One by one your friends arrive, as well as countless others, to pay their respects to the man who saved the universe. The first person you meet is Barton, now followed by Laura and their three kids; a sight that brings so much joy to your heart despite the sadness of the day. One more thing to be thankful to Nat and Tony for.

As you're standing talking to Shuri, a tap on your lower leg grabs your attention. Morgan, somewhat wary of all the people surrounding her, is more nervous that usual. "A man named Steve is looking for you." She whispers when you bend to match her height. Saying goodbye to Shuri you take her hand and let her lead the way. "Is he the Steve you told me about?"

"The very same. Real life Captain..." But you stop as you see who Steve is standing with. Sam isn't a shock, but Bucky is. You both had discussed the possibility, but he couldn't be convinced he'd be welcome, constantly bringing up Siberia; in fact you had both argued hard about it before you'd left, not leaving with a happy ending to the argument.

"Are you ok?" Morgan pulls at your arm, drawing your attention back to reality.

"Sure," You clear your throat, trying not to show your surprise. "Morgan, these are my friends, Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson." Sam and Steve smile and wave at Morgan. Bucky looks uneasy when you finally turn to him; him finally looking at you nervously. "And this is Bucky..."

"Hi Bucky," Morgan lets out a little giggle, making both you and Bucky blush. Bucky gives an awkward little wave back to Morgan before she runs off, hearing Pepper calling her.

"This is gonna be awkward." Sam whispers, sensing the tension between you and Bucky, but Steve smacks the back of his head, making you and Bucky smile.

"Could you guys give us a minute?" You ask, feeling nervous. Steve smiles before you lead Bucky away, knowing he would be feeling uncomfortable showing any vulnerability and be already on edge at the amount of people around him, despite them being allies.

"I'm sorry..." Both of you say at the same time, both of you breaking into a smile.

"You go first." You nod to him, still feeling somewhat apprehensive. Bucky shifts his feet, his tell tale sign of nerves running through him.

"Look Sasha," He sighs, keeping his voice low. "I didn't want to make things awkward for you. I know you're going through a lot right now..."

"I know all this isn't easy for you Buck," You take a step closer to him. "And things haven't exactly gone the way I'd hoped..."

"Lemme finish. Please?" You take a step back, fearful of what he's going to say next. "I can't begin to actually understand what's going on inside your head. And it doesn't help that mine isn't 100% screwed on right now either." He nervously looks around him, making sure no one is listening. "I think, until we're fully over, well, everything," He gestures back towards the house. "Then maybe we should..."

"Are you seriously going to do this to me now? Today of all fucking days..." You snap, managing, ever so slightly, to keep your voice quiet and calm.

"Yes." His calm, matter of fact tone sends you reeling. "Look at you." He smiles, reaching a hand up to brush some hair out of your face; you're unsure why you let him. "You look more at peace here and now than you have for days..."