Chapter 78 - One More Fight

*Wakanda - One year later*

Things had taken time but you and Bucky were finally in a rhythm. Most days he spent out in the farms; helping with livestock, clearing out animals and pens. Basically any heavy lifting and what some would class as menial work was enough for Bucky. Even with one arm he excelled at every job given to him. It kept his mind from overthinking, and made his body so tired that at least he would get some sleep at night.

You had opted to spend most of your days in the city; the technology there was too enticing for you not to get involved. And it included spending more time with Shuri, whose good nature and happy personality was just infectious. You also spent time with the Dora, and T'Challa now and then when he was free, to see what improvements could be made. To weapons, body armour and sometimes even tactics. Now that Wakanda was on the verge of opening themselves up to the world they wanted to be prepared for whatever was out there.

The only thing that hadn't changed so far was Bucky's nightmares. After that one night you had spent together they had come back with a vengeance; although now at least he didn't wake up so violently, causing damage to himself or you. There was the odd scream, but you were both sleeping in his hut by the lake, meaning no-one was around to hear them. Some nights you'd even be able to coax him back to sleep, others you'd take him for a swim in the lake but most time was spent with both of you simply talking them through.

In terms of your relationship things were going well. There was still the odd occasional blip where you'd argue over meaningless stuff; but like in Bucharest it was a chance to get to learn each other's patterns. There were some days it was still like walking on eggshells around him, days where he felt like that about you. But despite that, you were both happy and comfortable to be together in a safe space, literally and figuratively.

Despite his protests you and Shuri had been working on a project for a month developing a new arm for him out of vibranium. Naturally Shuri had done all the technological work for it, while you had simply created a program depicting his fighting style that could automatically be uploaded into the arm. It was almost a carbon copy of one of Tony's programs but with a Wakandan flair.

"I thought the soldier didn't want to fight anymore." Okoye pointed out one afternoon as you were finishing up the specs for the upload. "Why are you going against his will?"

"Because," You sigh, knowing in your heart that that's what you wanted to. "Eventually there will come a day when he'll need it. And I'd rather have it and not need to use it than need it and not have it."

"Makes sense." Ayo gives you one of her rare smiles, making Okoye scoff.

"Why will he need to fight here? He's safer here than anywhere else in the world."

"Until they find us here," You sigh finally deciding to let your fears out rather than keep them in as you and Bucky had discussed. "We think it's great, T'Challa's plans for Wakanda." You reiterate to stop the confused look on Okoye's face. "But it's only a matter of time before something happens and..."

"Do you doubt the loyalty of our King Wolf?" Ayo asks, a slight growl on her tone.

"Absolutely not." You affirm, standing your ground. You knew this conversation would no go down well but perhaps it had to be said. "T'Challa has given us more than we can ever thank him for. You all have. But we have to be smart."

"Do you think we would throw you to the vultures?" Okoye steps into your personal space, eyeing you up and down. You don't move, don't even blink; this hadn't been what you'd wanted but you knew that this fight could come.

"Not intentionally," You give a quick look to Shuri who's watching the tension flood the room with a small smile on her face. "But we know there has been cracks before." You regret having to bring up W'Kabi, Okoye's husband who had turned to help Killmonger; but it works as Okoye takes a step back. "I can't run the risk of losing him so Wakanda can flourish. And I can't let Wakanda take the hit for us. So I'm being tactical and prepared. For anything."