Chapter 58 - Did You Know?

Silence creeps over the Quinjet. While Steve stoically flies the plane, Bucky's eyes never leave the floor; meanwhile your eyes are constantly glued to the view out of the window. Constantly worrying about Sam, Barton, Wanda and Lang, but mostly thinking about the sound Rhodey had made when he hit the ground.

"What's going to happen to your friends?" Bucky asks, almost as though he had read your mind. Despite knowing it's not his fault, you can't bring himself to look at him; your mind otherwise preoccupied. You can hear Steve sigh.

"Whatever it is," he replies. "I'll deal with it."

"We'll deal with it." You correct him, feeling Bucky's eyes roam over at you.

"I don't know if I'm worth all this Steve," You finally break the hold the view has on you to turn and stare at Bucky whose eyes are firmly planted to the ground once more. You feel a surge of anger surging through you; this had been an argument you and he had had very regularly in Romania.

Steve turns to look at you as you reach over and take Bucky's hand - he's reluctant at first but eventually squeezes your hand back. "What you did all those years," Steve replies. "It wasn't you. You didn't have a choice." You can't help but let out a small smile, secretly hoping that the words you had repeatedly said to him over that year would finally sink in coming from his best friend.

"I know," Bucky replies, letting go of your hand and solemnly looking back at Steve. "But I did it." The small smile fades from your face and you turn back to stare back out of the window; once again thinking about Rhodey, and worrying about what Ross was going to do to Sam.

***

Eventually you land in Siberia, close to the coordinates Bucky had given. You can just make out a truck parked close by. The 'doctor' had beaten you, as you'd suspected. And now there was no doubt that the super soldiers would have been awakened.

You head over to the munitions cabinet aboard the Quinjet, pulling open the gun rack labelled 'Romanoff'. Bucky follows you, eyeing up the selection before picking out a machine gun. You tuck two small revolvers into the small of your back, before slapping two Widow's bites onto your wrists.

"I know the answer to this," Bucky stammers while handing you another two revolvers to tuck into your hip holsters. "But maybe you should let me and Steven take these guys out." You don't answer him, simply handing over some extra clips for his gun. He grabs your arm as you try to walk away. "Sash, I'm serious. This wasn't what we planned..."

"None of this was planned Bucky." You snap, before letting your hand meet his. "This is worth the risk." He takes a step closer, bridging the gap further by resting his forehead against yours. "One last fight Sarge." His breath catches in his throat before he gently places his lips on yours.

"Sorry guys," Steve interrupts, making you both break away, still looking at each other. "We better get in there."

***

As you slowly make your way through the bunker; you in the middle of Steve and Bucky. The only sound you hear is your own heart racing. While you weren't as strong as Steve and Bucky, or the super soldiers, you would do your utmost to stop them.

A loud clang draws out your attention as you start to climb some stairs. You all turn - you and Bucky aiming your guns towards the sound. "You ready?" Steve asks, a firm hand on your shoulder. You nod your reply as the double doors at the end of the corridor start to open - a familiar shade of red and gold filling the gap before Iron Man walks through.

"You seem a little defensive," Tony starts as he retracts the helmet, staring directly at you. While you instinctively lower your gun, Bucky keeps his raised while Steve moves in front of both of you, shield raised. "At ease Soldier, I'm not currently after you." Tony looks at Bucky before nodding towards you. "Either of you."