Chapter 36 - Is This What I Think It Is?

New York, 2015

Stopping at a cafe on the way back to the tower, you and Sam are sitting eating breakfast. "Better?" You ask as he dives right in, making you smile.

"Damn right. In case you didn't notice, I worked up quite an appetite last night," he winks.

"Oh I noticed," You smile, simply picking at the food on your place; still feeling nervous about your breakdown earlier - mixed in with what had happened with Sam. "I need to tell you something," He gestures for you to go ahead. "Last night," you hesitate. "Last night really meant a lot to me.." Sam tries to interrupt but you stop him. "Please let me get this out." He nods. "Last night was the first time..." You pause again. "The first time where there wasn't a mission to complete or an objective to gain. It was the first time it was just for me - if that makes sense." You look down at your plate, blushing.

Sam stops eating, reaching over and taking your bandaged hand, running his thumb over your knuckles gently. "I get it Sasha," he sighs, with a slight agitation in his voice, but one you recognise. He's not mad at you, but at your past. "I know that that can't have been easy to admit."

You nod, a slight flush in your cheeks. "What did I ever to to deserve you Sam Wilson?"

"Something terrible in a past life," he half jokes, before realising what he had said. You grip onto his hand, letting him know its ok. "Just promise me something," he continues. Nodding, you go back to playing with your food. "Anything that comes up that has to do with Barnes, don't deal with it all alone. You can share anything with me." You squeeze his hand.

"I promise."

"Good," he smiles at you, before letting your hand go and tucking back into his breakfast. "Now eat your damn food before I make you."

"Now that I'd like to see you try!" You wink at him, receiving one back.

After breakfast, you both walk to the tower, enjoying the hustle and bustle of New York - laughing at all the suits running around Manhattan - you telling Sam stories about Loki and fighting the Chitauri. Sam is smiling walking beside you, his hand firmly placed in yours.

As you get to the tower you see there's a lot more security around the entrance. Recognising both you and Sam they let you walk into the reception, you're suddenly hindered at the elevator as your security card won't work. "JARVIS?" You question the computer, getting no response. Eventually a security guard comes over, questioning your reasoning for being there.

"Don't you recognise her?" Sam asks, the guard simply shakes his head.

"Sorry ma'am." He shakes his head, but if your card isn't working then it means you don't have clearance to enter the tower."

"Ok, on whose authority?" You exclaim.

"Mine," Maria Hill struts towards you both.

"Hill?" You question, she nods to the security guard before grabbing your arm and leading you and Sam over to the elevator.

"Where the hell have you been?" She whispers at you. "We've been trying to get you all night."

"I left my phone in my room," You shrug - looking over at Sam as you realise. "What the hell is going on?"

"Wait," she quips, waiting for the elevator door to close. "I'm trying to contain this as much as possible." Once the doors close, her shoulders slump slightly. You can see she's tense.