Chapter 24 - Sitwell

Washington, 2014

A few hours later, you've secured Sam's Falcon harness from Fort Meade, and making your way back to the boys. Nat had done the heavy lifting since you were on the wanted list; you had hacked your way through all the clearance codes guiding her to them. "So you and Wilson seem to be getting along nicely?" Nat has tried to make small talk all the way there, and was now trying again; but there was only one thing you wanted to talk about.

"Stop changing the subject Nat," you sigh, keeping your eye on the road to make sure no one was following you. "What exactly happened in New Jersey? What did Zola say?"

"Don't do this to yourself Sasha, you got to give yourself time to remember..."

"Remember what Nat? That I worked for Hydra? How the hell can that be true? We were raised together in the Red Room. That was the KGB. Were they working with Hydra?"

"I don't have all the answers." She sighs.

"But you know something."

"Zola didn't get into specifics. If anything he was just stalling for time." You wait for her to elaborate, but it never comes. As frustrated as you are, you decide not to push it any further. There were more important things at stake now.

Once you meet up back at Sam's place with the wings, you both begin looking into Sitwell's location; he was likely to be the weakest link in the Hydra chain. "Any luck?" asks Steve, after helping Sam check out his gear.

"Looks like he's got a lunch appointment this afternoon," Nat answers, looking at her phone. "Hill is checking out the exact whereabouts."

"You sure we should be trusting Hill," Steve asks.

"We're bound to have some friends still on the inside," you reply. "Besides, Fury trusted her. And right now, that's good enough for me." He shrugs at your reply.

"Sasha is right," Nat responds. "And she's just given us our big break." She shows you the text from Hill, relaying Sitwell's whereabouts. You start to make tracks, packing the wings and the shield into Sam's car; piling in you notice Nat isn't joining you. "I'm going to catch up with Hill."

"What? No, Nat it's not safe for you," You grab her by the arm. "They're going to come after you to get to me."

"Let them try," she smiles, handing you her cell phone. "This is my spare; it's got my SHIELD number programmed in. Barton's too. If shit goes sideways, call him first. Promise me." You feel yourself welling up, but nod. "I've packed some spare weapons in the trunk." She starts to walk away. "And Sasha, kick some Hydra ass." You smile and head off with Steve and Sam.

***

Jasper Sitwell is feeling confident; Project Insight is only a few hours away from deployment, his standing in Hydra is on the rise and now he has just had lunch with one of the top dogs: Senator Stern. If it hadn't been for the problem of Steve Rogers escaping the STRIKE team, he'd be living his best life. As his phone rings, he's feeling even more self-assured to see Pierce is calling him.

"Agent Sitwell, how was lunch?" Sam asks him, confusing Sitwell. You're on the roof of a building a few blocks away, keeping an eye on him with binoculars, but something else also caught your eye. Senator Stern, he had to be a part of Hydra too: making a mental reminder to go after him if you made it out of this, you turn your attention back to Sam. Listening over comms, Sam is winding Sitwell up. You and Steve exchange a look and a smile as you admire Sam's confidence.

"And why would I do that?" Sitwell looks at the men escorting him, feeling assertive.

"Because that tie looks really expensive," This was your cue from Sam; you take the laser pointer and direct it onto Sitwell's chest, making him flinch. "And I've got a cute little brunette who'd love to mess it up." Instantly Sitwell moves where Sam directed him: getting into the car and making their way over to you while Steve heads downstairs to greet them.

You had instructed Sam to take the longest route possible, just to make sure no-one was following. While Steve headed downstairs, you took the alone time to try and reflect on what had happened this morning. You were a part of Hydra, and you didn't even know it. How could that have possibly happened? The only explanation had to have been after Nat had escaped with Barton.

Remembering Sam's advice, you try and focus on all the small details that have leaked through your memories the last 24 hours, but nothing is coming through. Madame B stuck out, but she had been there when you were a child, also with Nat. Your thoughts then turn to the metal armed man: the Winter Soldier. Why was he the only Hydra connection you could clearly remember? Despite fighting each other, he had also defended you; deep down in your gut you realise you had done the same for him. A strong feeling of defiance grows in the pit of your stomach, when it finally catches up to your brain you understand: no matter what has happened in your past and what's about to happen, you'll protect him again. Why?

***

Steve throws Sitwell through the rooftop door, giving him a rough landing. "Tell me about Zola's algorithm. Why were you on the Lemurian Star?" But Sitwell can't respond, he's too panicked and just stammers. Getting frustrated, Steve grabs him by the scruff of his neck and moves him closer to the roof's edge. You had known Sitwell wouldn't give the information up so easily, but had a plan in place.

The cockiness of Sitwell creeps back up, as he smiles at Steve. "Is this supposed to imply that you're going to through me off the roof, Rogers? Really not your style." Steve let's go and dusts off his suit, nodding slightly.

"You're right," he smiles, while you buzz your earpiece twice to give Sam the signal. Steve turns and looks at you, making Sitwell panic when he finally grasps that you are standing next to him. "It's hers." In an instant your boot makes contact with Sitwell's stomach, jolting him off the edge. His scream making you feel the best you had all day.

"Man, I've always wanted to do that, that guy gives me the creeps." Steve lets off a small smile while you wait. "So, have you taken any more of Nat's dating advice yet?" You ask, hoping to lighten the mood.

"Nah, I don't think I'm ready for that yet." You chuckle as Sam flies up from the ground, with Sitwell still screaming, before being thrown back onto the rooftop. "What about you?" he asks and nods at Sam.

"I think I'm going to listen," you wink at Sam as you head over to him. "Damn Wilson, you can fly me around this city anytime!"

Sitwell starts rambling about Project Insight, about how Zola's algorithm works. Rattling off a list of names, dread builds in your chest as he mentions Banner and Stark. You look at Steve and see the same worry etched into his face. "The algorithm evaluates the past to predict the future." He uses his last bit of ego to look Steve dead in the eye. "Hydra wins Captain."

Letting out a breath you didn't know you were holding, you grab the cell phone and decide to call Barton. Maybe he could get to Banner and Stark in time, but Steve holds you off. "We need to stop this, warning them could only make things worse for either of them."

"We can't take that risk Steve."

"I know. But if those helicarriers work like he says they do," he points to Sitwell. "There's nowhere on this planet that they can hide. You really want to tell them that." You shake your head and pocket it again, furious but Rogers was right.

"Pierce is going to kill me," Sitwell snivels, incensing you even more. Before anyone can react you pull out your gun and place the barrel right against his head, making him squirm even more.

"Not if I do it first, now tell me. Why is Hydra so intent on killing me?"

"I don't know."

"Bullshit."

"I don't. Pierce and Rumlow just asked me to keep an eye on you. At first he said you were a security leak, that you'd expose us all at SHIELD, but then I overheard him and Rumlow talking." He wipes his eyes with his sleeve, making you retch at how pathetic he was being, this so called Hydra soldier. You push the barrel of the gun deeper into his temple, knowing you're going to leave a mark one way or the other.

"Keep talking."

"They said you were a gift to mankind that needed to be returned to its rightful owner."

"The KGB? Hydra? Who?"

"The Winter Soldier."