Chapter 45 - He's Not You

"There she is," That damn winsome grin meets you first as you get off the boat. Without hesitation you throw yourself into Sam's arms. It had taken a train, a flight and a boat ride to get from Romania to the Greek coast, but you were sure it was enough to cover your tracks.

"Good to see you Wingman," You smirk into his shoulder as he pulls you closer. Pulling away you grab his hand, leading him away from the port and into the small town. Neither of you say much as you walk, general small talk as you look over him; the telltale signs of the fight covering him, his eyes raking over you for the same thing.

Reaching a small cafe, you sit; ordering coffee and some food for you both in Greek. "Always amazes me," Sam smirks. "How many languages do you actually know?" You shrug with a small smile, actually feeling nervous about being in his company again.

"One of the perks of my past I suppose." Sam smiles back, the smile not quite catching his eyes. "So truth time Wilson, how is everyone? Really?" Sam takes a deep breath while the waitress arrives with your order.

"Everything I told you was true, except..."

"Except..." You egg him on, sitting up straight.

"Banner. He's gone." He runs his hand down his face while you sit waiting for him to elaborate. "Hulk saved Nat, then stole a Quinjet. We haven't been able to trace him."

"And Nat is..."

"Acting like it doesn't bother her, but definitely hurt." You nod, knowing exactly that's how she'd react. "Would help a lot if her best friend was still around." His sentence comes out in a whisper as he sips his coffee, but you heard him.

"That's not fair Sam. She has Barton, Steve, all you guys."

"We're not you Sasha, it's not the same."

"Don't make me feel worse than I already do." You snap. "You think it's easy for me just to leave everything I've worked for behind. Everyone I've ever cared about." You didnt realise your voice was getting louder, until Sam places a hand over yours. "He..."

Before you can finish your sentence you feel a shadow approaching behind you, blocking out the sun. "Easy Sasha," Sam grabs your hand tighter. "It's a friend." Anger bubbles up inside you as Steve finally walks into view, taking a seat beside Sam.

"Are you sure about that?" You snort, before ripping your hand away. Looking at Sam with pain filled eyes. "I trusted you Wilson."

"Where is he Sasha?" Steve's voice appears genuine, full of concern and soft. "I need to find him. Help him." Turning your head away you focus on the pier, watching the small sailing boats bobbing in the water; wondering how far you would get before either of them caught up with you. In frustration Steve slams a hand on the table to try and get your attention. "Sasha!"

"Easy man," Sam whispers, taking a look around him. "Nat warned you, you push her, you lose him completely." You can help but smile on the inside. Slowly you turn back to them, Sam's eyes full of apologies, while Steve's bore into yours.

"I won't tell you where he is," Steve starts to mumble something but you put a hand up stopping him. "But he's safe." You try to reassure him. "We both are," Looking back at Sam, he simply looks at the ground. "He needs time to adjust Steve. He's not ready for all this." You gesture to the wide open space where you've met, remembering how nervous he had been at that cafe just a walk away from his apartment.

"Does he..." Steve's voice breaks a little. "Does he remember...anything?" You can feel tear bubbling up to the surface too at the emotion pouring from Steve. Not wanting to let yourself go, you simply nod. "Give me something Volkova, please." He snaps slightly again.