Chapter 48 - Just One Day

Bucky sits alone in his apartment. Every now and again his eyes meet the door frame. Hoping that you'll come through that door; knowing you won't. Meanwhile, the group of soldiers, slowly and methodically quiet start walking up the stairs. Guns primed and ready as they march towards their target.

Bucky can hear them. Every footstep, no matter how quiet they were trying to be. "She's betrayed me," He says, letting a single tear run down his cheek. "I've got nothing left to lose." He turns his metal hand into a fist before determination sets in. Standing, ready for a fight, he stares at the apartment door.

Within seconds, the soldiers burst through the door, Bucky catching it in mid-air, using it as a shield before tossing it, knocking out the first group brave enough to walk through. The second wave don't stand much of a chance either as Bucky manages to block their shots with his arm; able to grab each and every one of them, either breaking bones or necks. Not caring anymore if the world sees him as a monster.

Too busy fighting men off left and right, and in a rage fuelled state, Bucky doesn't see the third wave, all purposefully placed around the stair well; their target firmly placed in their cross hairs. At the last second he sees them; closing his eyes as the torrent of bullets tear through his body. As he collapses to the ground, blood seeping into the floor, he thinks of you. "Sasha," he gargles, choking on his own blood before a soldier stands above him, laughing heavily.

"The Winter Soldier is dead." Says a voice you recognise but can't quite place. "Good riddance." They laugh again, taking off their helmet, revealing the heavily scarred, but somewhat melted face of Rumlow.

"BUCKY!" You scream out; instantly regretting sitting up so quickly as the wave of nausea hits you. That image from your dream just playing on repeat over and over again doesn't help.

"Relax Sasha," Nat instantly tries to reassure you, but you push her off. Desperately needing some air, and some space; she is the last person you want to see right now. Looking around you see you are on the Quinjet.

"You had no right!" You yell, pushing Nat away again before marching towards the cockpit, on wobbly legs. Steve and Wanda can only look on as you head straight towards Sam. "Turn this heap around, or land it." You yell at him. "I'm getting off."

Sam takes a deep heavy sigh before looking up at you. "I'm sorry Sasha, it's too late. We're almost at the compound." He takes a quick look behind you, scowling slightly at Nat whose finally managed to catch up with you.

"If you could just listen to me for a second Sasha and let me explain." Nat pleads, but you ignore her, heading straight for Steve. "He's not going to help you either."

"You know why I need to go Steve," You shout louder.

"It's out of my hands Sasha," Steve looks down at the ground. "I'm sorry." Once again Nat tries to grab your attention; in the heat of frustration you turn and slap her, moving in to strike her again before Steve grabs you, pulling you away.

"You have no idea what you've done!" You scream at Nat, not realising that tears were now running down your face. "I'm done with you." Fighting your way out of Steve's grip, you push him off you. "And you're just a fucking coward." You throw yourself down on a seat next to Wanda, hurriedly wiping your eyes.

"For the record," Sam butts in, breaking the silence as Nat rubs her jaw and stands beside him. "I told you so. We'll be landing in ten minutes."

***

Sam finally manages to convince you to leave the Quinjet, after being asked by Nat to make sure you didn't hijack it. You can't help but be impressed by the compound - an amazing upgrade from the tower, you just don't let your face show it. "You can crash here. My rooms right next door." Sam smiles after an awkward silence. "You know, in case you need company."