Chapter 75 - Fight

"You sure about this?" You ask for what could be the hundredth time, receiving nothing but an icy stare in return.

"You know what I'm capable of," Bucky turns and looks away from you, his eyes meeting Ayo who stands stoically behind you. "I don't want to hurt you. I don't want to hurt her. I don't want to hurt anybody." The last sentence is a mumble but it's accompanied by a cold sweat travelling over his already tense body. You don't reply, simply continuing to chain his legs and remaining arm so that he's heavily secured. It breaks your heart to do it, but deep down you know he's right. This was the safest option.

The nerves running through him have finally reached his eyes;he doesn't dare meet yours until you force him. "I want you to remember something Buck," You can't help but brush some of hair from his face. "Don't focus on Ayo as the enemy. She's doing this to help you. It's a safe environment."

"Nothing about this is safe..."

"You know what I mean." You reach down to his shackled hand and give it a squeeze. "I'll be right here."

"That doesn't help me either..." But you cut him off with a quick kiss to his lips; the first time you had since establishing what you were to each other. It was the quickest way to silence him. "That was unfair." He let's a small smile out before nodding. "OK. I'm ready."

Gently placing your hand over his heart, you swallow down your fear and move to behind Ayo. She nods briefly at you before turning back to Bucky. "Longing...."

As her flawless Russian reverberates the room you instantly see the tension in Bucky. A mixture of pain and fear rattling through him. The words still strike a slight pain through your mind, but not enough to cause you to shift.

With every word Ayo speaks, the chains wrapped around his arm starts to shake. Eventually he closes his eyes, throwing his head back in agony. No one is holding you back, but you can't move; you'd promised Ayo you would not interfere unless necessary. You close your eyes, not willing to look at him in so much pain as Ayo continues.

But it's the scream that stops you; one you've heard too many times to ignore. As you march towards Ayo a spear blocks your path. "Please..." You plead but Ayo simply gives you a look before continuing.

Suddenly its quiet, too quiet. You both look over and see that Bucky's head hangs on his chest, while his breath is staggered. He finally raises his head to you as you tiptoe closer. "Bucky?" You ask, but his eyes are cold. He tilts his head in confusion. "Soldier?" You ask in Russian.

"Ready to comply." Is your response, instantly breaking your heart. You feel Ayo tap your shoulder lightly, egging you on to proceed, just like she had suggested.

"What is your name Soldier?" Again, Bucky's head tilts to the side in slight confusion; studying your eyes.

"I have no name," He suddenly tries to spring forward, the chains prohibiting him. He looks over them, his teeth gritted before turning back to you. "They simply call me Soldier."

"Do you know who I am?" Bucky looks you up and down, no expression on his face before nodding. "What is my name Soldier?" You try to keep your voice stern but you're not used to watching him up close like this; not in this state. A tap on your lower back from Ayo reminds you to stand firm. "Answer soldier."

You can see the hesitation in his eyes; despite the increase in tension on his chains, his eyes give him away. He's conflicted. "Sa...Your name..." Closing his eyes Bucky shakes his head; when he opens them again they're darker. "You are the Widow."

"Try again."

"The Widow." He repeats coldly. "A hybrid of the KGB and HYDRA. An assassin." An angry tone settles in his voice as he raises it, noticing you flinch slightly. "The asset. The saviour of mankind..." He rattles more off, getting angrier when Ayo steps in.