Chapter 28: The Fisherman Never Fails

I'm not sure what Petunia and Vernon discussed yesterday, but the next day, Vernon seemed like a changed man. He no longer complained about magic and showed great interest in going to Diagon Alley today.

If Petunia didn't know magic, Dudley would have suspected a brain swap.

"How much longer until that, uh, McGonagall arrives? I can't wait to experience that magical world."

Relaxing on the sofa, Vernon appeared extremely excited.

"It's only eight-thirty now, still thirty minutes until nine." Dudley glanced at the clock on the wall. Having just finished his morning exercise, he walked towards the bathroom, wiping off the sweat, and corrected, "And it's Professor McGonagall, not McGonagall. Calling someone by the wrong name is quite rude."

"Oh, Vernon, come take a look at how I look in this outfit today!"

Petunia's anxious voice came from the bedroom, and Vernon hurried over.

Ten minutes later.

"No, this outfit won't do. The color is too bright."

"No, this one won't work either, too fancy. Lily once said that wizards usually wear simpler clothes."

Another ten minutes later.

Staring at the packed closet, Petunia exclaimed in despair, "Oh, dear, I have nothing to wear."

Vernon:

Five minutes later, Dudley had finished showering and walked out of the bathroom. Harry, scratching his stomach and yawning, came out of his small room. He had stayed up too late yesterday due to excitement, resulting in a less spirited appearance.

Petunia had reluctantly chosen a suitable outfit.

Five minutes later, when the clock struck nine, the doorbell rang at the Dursleys' house.

Professor McGonagall arrived right on time.

"Should we fly on a flying carpet or just fly there directly?"

Vernon, looking behind McGonagall for a moment, asked with great curiosity.

"Sorry, Mr. Dursley, flying carpets were banned by the Ministry of Magic in the 18th century, at least in Europe."

McGonagall explained to Vernon, "We generally use broomsticks for flying."

"Why ban flying carpets?" Dudley asked curiously.

McGonagall answered, "Because flying carpets are considered Muggle-made items."

"Do wizards really dislike things made by ordinary people?"

"More or less." McGonagall continued, "For example, Muggles' electronic products like televisions and computers are not allowed at Hogwarts."

"What about your lighting?"

"Candles, oil lamps, and torches." McGonagall gave examples matter-of-factly.

'Isn't this a return to the Middle Ages?'

Dudley's eyes widened at the revelation.

Even if McGonagall explained that those things were magical items, it couldn't change their nature. In terms of lighting, candles and oil lamps were not as effective as electric lights.

Dudley frowned slightly. McGonagall's words gave him a strong sense of the wizarding world's exclusivity. They rejected the use of more convenient things and seemed to practice a policy of isolation.

With thoughts about not being able to use convenient items like gaming consoles and TVs, Dudley momentarily felt that maybe not going to Hogwarts was not such a bad idea. Of course, this feeling was fleeting.