Chapter 30: Nice to Meet You!

The interior of Gringotts was much more spacious than it appeared from the outside. Obviously, it had been enchanted with an undetectable extension charm. This charm was incredibly convenient, and the hall was filled with countless doors leading to various places. Hundreds of goblins were busy at the counters, examining gems, coins, and rare items with scales, magnifying glasses, and other tools.

Under Professor McGonagall's guidance, they approached one of the counters. "Please exchange some Galleons for these gentlemen."

The goblin at the counter, initially wearing a look of impatience, immediately put on a fake smile upon seeing Professor McGonagall. "Hello, Professor McGonagall. Are these new students for Hogwarts?"

Seeing her nod, the goblin turned to Vernon, and the fake smile vanished, replaced by his original impatience. "How much do you want to exchange?"

Vernon asked cautiously, "What's the exchange rate?"

The goblin impatiently glanced at Vernon but still answered, "Five pounds for one Galleon."

Vernon visibly relaxed and boldly said, "Give me a thousand."

"Sorry, sir," the goblin sneered, "Hogwarts students can only exchange once a year, and the limit is 100 Galleons per exchange."

"Fine, then make it 200 Galleons," Vernon muttered.

He handed over £1,000 and two bags of gold coins—one for Harry and one for Dudley.

Meanwhile, Mr. Granger exchanged a hundred Galleons for Hermione.

As they were about to leave, Professor McGonagall said, "Wait, we need to visit Mr. Harry Potter's vault to get some money."

She took out a golden key from her pocket.

After a roller-coaster-like experience, they arrived at the Potter family's vault.

"I didn't expect them to be so wealthy," Vernon remarked as they emerged from the vault filled with gold.

He had always thought of his sister-in-law and her husband as lazy, unemployed people. Little did he know they were quite well-off.

However, the Dursleys were not interested in the money. On the contrary, they were happy for Harry.

"Please follow the guidelines in the acceptance letter for your purchases," Professor McGonagall reminded them. She was referring to the list of items required for Hogwarts.

The essentials included robes, gloves, cloaks, textbooks, wands, cauldrons, glass vials, telescopes, and scales. Additionally, students could bring an owl, cat, or toad.

Dudley frowned as he went through the shopping list. It wasn't because there were too many items, but rather too few, especially for the Potions class—only a cauldron, ingredients, and scales.

"Professor McGonagall, besides these items, can we bring anything else?" Dudley asked.

"Of course, but I must remind you not to bring anything related to Muggles. Hogwarts cannot use those items," McGonagall warned.

Dudley didn't want to bring additional things; he just found the equipment too basic. To improve his potion-making, Dudley planned to bring the set of experimental equipment he had purchased. Considering Harry and Hermione might need it too, he decided to bring a few extra sets.

"It's getting late," Professor McGonagall said, looking at the sky. "I think we should split up. The adults will go with me to buy cauldrons, scales, and books. The future young wizards can buy wands and tailor-made robes."

Everyone agreed to Professor McGonagall's plan. Mr. Granger and Vernon had already arranged to go to the Leaky Cauldron for a drink while waiting.

First, they went to buy the robes and cloaks, which took the most time.