Chapter 9: Meow Meow Meow Meow

Rectangular and furry, the book had four large, round, bright yellow eyes and a row of sharp teeth revealing gum.

Rather than calling it a book, it seemed more like some kind of monster.

Nevertheless, Dudley recognized it as a book at first glance.

Because there were prominent, large, gold-embossed letters on its cover – The Monster Book of Monsters.'

Though Dudley had known about Harry Potter's magical abilities and was fascinated by the magical world, this was his first encounter with something magical since coming to this world. If you counted Shinji Matou's Magus trait, then it would be the second time.

While Dudley was still in a daze, the peculiar book seemed to notice him. It abandoned the pursuit of the cats, turned its head with sharp teeth bared, and rapidly fluttered towards Dudley.

Snowball, seeing this, had its fur standing on end, and its whole body fluffed up. While hissing at the strange book, it also emitted high-pitched screams, issuing a warning.

Unfortunately, Snowball's threat was useless. The strange book continued to flutter rapidly towards Dudley.

Despite being afraid of the strange book, Snowball stayed by Dudley's feet. Its claws extended from under the paw pads, ready to make a desperate stand.

"Hey, how do you deal with this? Cast a spell? But I don't know any," Dudley tried to find a solution, but in the corner of his eye, he noticed one cat lying on the ground motionless.

It was the fourth cat, Toots.

Is Toots injured or dead?

No matter what, it was undoubtedly the strange book's doing.

Dudley already liked cats, and after spending time with these four, his affection for them had grown immensely. Anger surged within him.

"Alright, I'll handle it my way." Saying this, Dudley rolled up his sleeves.

As the strange book approached, he took a sudden step forward and delivered a powerful punch with lightning speed, striking the strange book accurately.

A muffled thud echoed as if a burly man was vigorously slamming a hammer onto the ground, causing a slight tremor in the entire room.

Then, everything fell silent.

With a single punch, Dudley had once again defeated a guy who claimed to be the the strongest high school boxing champion in England.

Slowly retracting his fist from the strange book's cover, Dudley held the book in his hand, and it lay there quietly, showing no signs of movement.

"Wanna try another one?" Dudley pinched the spine of the strange book with one hand and shook it.

By now, the strange book had become very obedient, soft and limp, with two ribbon-like tongues hanging out of its mouth.

"If those are indeed tongues."

'What if I accidentally knocked it to death?'

Seeing the strange book motionless, Dudley couldn't help but think.

'I remember I used only thirty percent of my strength.'

'What if this thing is really dead? How would I compensate?'

While Dudley was lost in these random thoughts, a scream came from outside the door.

"Oh, my Merlin, what on earth happened here?"

Mrs. Figg, still holding a basket of vegetables, rushed in anxiously. Looking at the room that resembled a thief's intrusion, her expression changed slightly. She turned to Dudley and asked, her tone more skeptical than puzzled.