Chapter 74 - Breaking off the Engagement

The sky was gloomy and the wind hurt my cheeks.

  The procession of welcoming and seeing off the bride slowly passed through the streets, amidst the roar of gongs and drums.

  Yu Huanchen rode his horse to lead the way, while Yu Xinyi and Tang Buli guarded both sides of the sedan as bridesmaids. The group ignored the matchmaker's urging and deliberately slowed down their journey.

  But despite this, the door of Xue's mansion is still getting closer and closer, strings and bamboo are playing, and guests surround Xue Cen, who is dressed neatly in a wedding robe and comes out.

  In the sedan chair, Yu Lingxi held a jade pendant with a dragon pattern in her hand. However, the dragon and phoenix appeared in auspicious patterns, but the fan was left aside indifferently. Xue Cen's Geng Tie was pressed on it.

  She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, praying that everything went well with her father.

  If there is no more news from the palace, they can only take the next step.

  Amidst the lively sound of firecrackers, the sedan chair landed on the ground, and Yu Lingxi's heart sank.

  Across the hazy embroidered red curtain at the front of the sedan, you can see the clouds of brocade clothes in front of the door of Xue Mansion.

  Yu Lingxi held the jade pendant tightly and did not get out of the sedan.

  In the biting wind, Xue Cen, tall and straight, bowed seriously and greeted his bride loudly again.

  On horseback, Yu Huanchen and Yu Xinyi looked at each other, each seeing determination in the other's eyes.

  If you can't invite the bride for the third time, it's time to completely break up.

  The wind blew through the ink-stained sky of the capital, bringing down a piece of snow.

  First, there were a few tiny dots of white, then more and more, forming a vast expanse of white.

  "Bride, get off the sedan quickly!"

  "Don't be a coward, Erlang, get your bride down!"

  The guests around him were urging and cheering, and Xue's father's smile was a bit forced, and he couldn't help but signal Xue Cen with his eyes.

  Xue Cen just pretended that he didn't understand his father's hint. There were a few pieces of white on the groom's official hat. He politely asked the guests not to scare the bride in the sedan. Then he blushed, insisted on etiquette, and walked towards the sedan for the third time. The beauty in red makeup rolled up her sleeves and bowed, raising her eyebrows.

  The maid Hu Tao, wearing a light red coat, stood aside and secretly glanced at the master who was motionless in the sedan. The handkerchief in his hand had already been wrinkled.

  Time seems to be stretched infinitely.

  A burst of rapid hoofbeats came from North Street, and the shouts pierced the noise of the sedan chair ceremony.

  "The imperial edict has arrived! Everyone in the Xue Mansion receives the edict!"

  A servant in brocade clothes held the imperial edict in bright yellow and hurriedly reined in his horse, interrupting Xue Cen's unspoken words.

  He had no choice but to straighten up and step aside, facing the direction of the imperial edict together with his solemn-looking father Xue and Xue Song, lifting his robe and kneeling.