Chapter 9 - Get ill

The guards helped Ning Yin into the corner gate and found a clean and remote place in the cover room for him to lie down.

"As the year approaches, if someone freezes to death in front of the mansion, it will be unlucky."

Yu Lingxi told the guards on duty outside the door, "Father and brother are busy with state affairs, and Auntie is still ill. I'm in charge of such trivial matters, so don't disturb them."

The guards clasped their fists and said "Yes".

Yu Lingxi looked at the furnishings in the house.

There is only a table, a chair, and a bed with old mattresses in the room. There is a slightly damaged screen next to the bed. It is simple and small, but it is clean and tidy. It is more than enough to shelter from the wind and recuperate, but it is not very warm.

The boy was lying on the hard plank bed; his face was still pale, and only a pair of eyes were still shining with a little stubbornness.

The little wild cat he rescued huddled helplessly in the corner, whimpering softly.

Yu Lingxi squatted down, gently stroked the kitten's messy snow-wet fur with her slender hands, and scratched its chin. The cat stopped whimpering very quickly and even rubbed her palm greedily.

"Go get two quilts and make a nest for the cat."

A slight smile appeared on the corner of Yu Lingxi's mouth, but she suppressed it quickly and glanced at Ning Yin, who was lying stiffly on the bed. "Don't freeze him to death."

The attendant naturally understood what she meant and went to make arrangements.

The oil lamp was dim, and Ning Yin's weak eyes kept falling on Yu Lingxi.

His lips moved, as if about to say something.

But Yu Lingxi stood up and interrupted him. The rabbit fleece scarf made her face delicate and charming, and she said indifferently: "I can't leave you behind. After the snow stops, you will find your place. Anyway, don't stay here."

As a result, Ning Yin's Adam's apple moved, and she lowered her eyes and tightened her pale lips.

Yu Lingxi didn't say anymore, turned around, and left the shelter.

Behind her, more than a dozen attendants followed with lanterns, opening up a dazzling river of light in the wind and snow.

Ning Yin watched the slender and noble figure outside the door gradually recede and dim, and finally only the silent blackness remained.

His eyes seemed to be dyed in the night, and he could not see the bottom.

Even though he was prepared, he couldn't hide his astonishment when he opened his eyes and saw her face without the veil just now under the eaves.

He has seen many beauties in the world of desire, but they are all birds in cages, and the thick powder can hardly hide the numbness of the world, not as beautiful as her, which is natural and clean, not like her. Shi Fendai can eclipse thousands of lights.

But she doesn't like herself; Ning Yin can feel it.

He still doesn't understand where her conflicts come from. Every time she looks over with complicated eyes, it seems that she is seeing the shadow of another person through him.

It may be more difficult than imagined to stay by her side for a long time.

Just as he was thinking about his next plan, he heard hurried footsteps outside the door.

Ning Yin was vigilant, closed his eyes, and did not move. It turned out that the attendant entered the door with the old quilt on the bed, cursing and cursing in the freezing weather.