Thirty-Nine

Feeling
_________________________________________

Feeling_________________________________________

_________________________________________

DOMINIC

"Roselyn, come here."

She wouldn't stop moving- searching for whoever said that.
I sighed and grabbed her hand- squeezing it.
She was shaking, just a little, but she was.

"Look at me, Roselyn." I told her calmly and she finally stood still again- but her eyes were still searching the alley. ".. look at me." I repeated with a bit more agression- at least that's how I saw it.

But she looked- her gaze found my own with a sense of relief lacing it.

"That's good- breathe," I cupped her cheek with my freehand- stroking it gently with my thumb. We were in public but I didn't care anymore; she mattered to me more than that. ".. good girl." I hummed.

She shook her head, "I'm sorry.. I don't know what-"

"- Don't lie to me, Roselyn," I muttered. ".. I don't want an explanation right now- just let me help you."

"Help me..?"

"You're searching for where that voice came from and I'm going to help you." I told her.

"What happened to 'let me'..?" She managed to crack a tiny joke.

"There we go," I squeezed Miss Roselyn's hand again before I let her go. ".. now-"

"- Does Stefano Basilio ring a bell?"

There it was again and closer to us for sure- honestly just by that second line I could tell it was an AI of some sort or maybe a recording of a persons voice.
There was auto tune and an obvious voice modifier.

"I want you near the wall while standing behind me, okay Roselyn?" I told her.

"Okay, Dominic." She repeated as she stood near the wall with more boxes and more things for her to hide behind while behind sheilded by me.

We continued walking further- I was on the most edge I've ever been on this job which said a lot.
I approached the back of a dumpster with Miss Roselyn close behind me- covering her nose.
I'd rather not have a rat with rabies pounce on me right now.

"I'm sure you do- you have to remember Stefano Basilio."

We were right on top of it so it wasn't a person like I presumed.
I kicked around a few cardboard boxes and some crates until I saw perfectly new recorder underneath it.