Fourty-Two

Hijo Del Corazón
_________________________________________

Hijo Del Corazón_________________________________________

_________________________________________

DOMINIC

My father was a busy man, but as I grew he only seemed to get busier.

- 2013 -

For the rest of elementary school and all of middle school I went to school in the middle class side of Queens.
I loved it- I had genuine friends and actual passions. Most of the students didn't necesarily care I was from the suburbs- they teased me here and there about buying them things but they really were my friends.

In my freshman year of highschool I excelled in school- my father didn't complain to me, but I seen him less and less.
He'd come home late and either sleep or rush into his office- Mama said that everything would be fine and to just 'let your father work'.

Valerie went to Richardson Private Academy's sister school for girls (AnnaLee Private Academy)- she was fine there. Nothing like me; she had friends and the teachers loved her. I was glad for her- I just wanted us to be happy, and if Valerie was happy in that enviorment then so be it.

"Mama," I muttered as I stood next to her in the kitchen, while she prepared the ingredients for dinner tonight. ".. Carne Salada? What's the special occasion?"

My Mama smiled at me, "You did so good your first year of highschool, mi vida. This is to get you ready for next year." I believed her then, but her eyes were puffy that day; like she had been crying earlier.

I grinned, "Let me help you cook, Mama." I reached for the bowl washed white rice.

My Mama smacked my hand and scoffed, "Not with mi Cecina."

"I did good too, Mami! Fourth grade was hard," Valerie whined from the dining room table. ".. I want something to prepare for fifth grade."

"Inside voice, Valerie." Mama scolded her- earning a pout.

Mama then shook her head.
"What would you like, bonita?" She asked Valerie.

"Tostones, Mami, I want Tostones." Valerie replied instantly.

Mama laughed softly and looked over at me. "Get the plantain and make your baby sister some Tostones, Domi. That is how you can help me with dinner." She told me.

I walked over to the fruit bowl on the island in the center of the kitchen.
I grabbed the bundle of unripe plantains while Valerie got up from the dining table and made her way to the bar. She took a seat in one of the tall chairs and played on her Nitendo 3DS- observing us both here or there.