Fourty-Seven

Love Is Miserable
_________________________________________

Love Is Miserable_________________________________________

_________________________________________

DOMINIC

She really didn't stay that night.

The beams of sunlight along with the shuffling of someone entering my room woke me up. I looked over towards the door, past the empty recliner, and squinted my eyes- that wasn't my nurse or my doctor.

"Did I wake ya?"

I turned away towards the window and muttered, "Roselyn told me that you would bring some of my shit."

"That I did," Simon took a seat in the recliner. ".. you're in a bad mood?"

I scoffed, "Should I be in a good one?"

"Ya aren't dead," Simon sighed. ".. that's one thing to put ya in a good mood."

I swiped my tongue over my dry lips and let my eyes fall shut.

"Roselyn told me that ya were pretty lively yesterday."

"Mm did she now?"

"I guess I should thank ya, kid."

That made me open my eyes.

"For what?" I questioned.

Simon sighed, "For two things- one; saving Roselyn's life," He then added. "and two; openin' the door for my friend to talk to me again."

His friend- to Simon, Roselyn was his friend, but to Roselyn he was there. Simon was never trustworthy no matter how much trust he put in you, but for some reason my gut leaned more towards the concept of friendship. He talked about Roselyn in a way that made my chest twinge because for a man who claims I want to be with her I don't really know her.

"..How close were you two?" I spoke up.

Simon chuckled, "Would ya believe it if I told ya she used to call me by my first name?"

"Oh," I murmured. ".. what the hell happened-"

"- Shit," He spat. ".. just.. shit."

"Stefano," I said as I sat up carefully. ".. you know who that is, don't you.."

The voice faded to quiet as my eyes found Simon's- his expression was.. something I'd never seen from him.

"Don't get involved with that shit, kid-"