Fourty-Six

Rule Three
_________________________________________

Rule Three_________________________________________

_________________________________________

DOMINIC

The walls were disgustingly white.

My ears were ringing as my vision found focus.
I could tell I was numb, but my side ached at the same time. I balled my fists- one fully closed while the other seemed to squeeze soft skin.

I looked to my left- there she was. Roselyn. Asleep in the recliner with a thin hospital blanket drapped over her body.

I squeezed her hand again; she was warm.

My throat was dry, but honestly, I wanted to just stare a bit longer.
Once she woke up then things would get complicated.

Her eyes were puffy, I could see the tear stains glisten on her cheeks, how much did I make her cry?

How long was I asleep?

That dream felt like years but that couldn't have been it; Roselyn hadn't aged a bit. Though to my knowledge she doesn't age to begin with.

At least I woke up to her face (sort of)- I couldn't think of a better alternative. She was beautiful when she slept- I'd only seen it once besides now, but I still remember it in detail. But knowing that this wasn't the most peaceful sleep for her made it a little harder to admire.

I squeezed Roselyn's hand again- okay, she was actually here.

She shifted slightly in the recliner.
I knew that had to be uncomfortable, I was up now, she could cuddle up with me for all I cared.

Should I try to speak? To see how I sound.

"Hello-"

I cut myself off, I sounded like shit. Raspy, groggy, and I was obviously in need of a bottle of water. And I was quiet- it made me feel like a boy.

I looked around again- there was a lunch table on the other side. And on it rested one of those big, hospital water bottles with the straw in the lid.
I reached for it and every muscle in my body felt stiff.
In the process, my other hand accidently slipped from Roselyn's and not even a second later I could hear that recliner creak.

"Dominic..?"

I pressed my lips in a firm line and gave up on the water- turning my attention to Roselyn who was staring at me in shock. Her does eyes seemed start welling up with tears, but she quickly blinked them away.

I didn't want to speak because I sounded like shit, but I had so much to say.

I cleared my throat again and laid back- pointing towards the water.