Fourty-Four

Hijo Del Corazón
_________________________________________

Hijo Del Corazón_________________________________________

_________________________________________

DOMINIC

No matter what I never forgot what my father looked like for one reason; people always said I looked like my Mama, but everytime I looked in the mirror he would be there.

- 2015 -

"I'm tearing that fucking wall down ya hear me!"

Coach Trevor grumbled angrily- Kirsten gigging from behind the front desk.

I walked towards the entrance with my then girlfriend at the time- ignoring his scolding while she covered her face as she went through her first walk of a shame. This wasn't new for me; it had happened before with others.

"Don't think too much about it," I held open the door for her. ".. get home safe, Tiana- you coming to my match Saturday?" I asked with a sigh.

"I can't Dominic.. I already told you that your last match and uhm," She pouted and played with her braids. ".. I thought you was walkin' me home today?"

"I have a bit more to do and then I gotta head home- also work and shit so..." I rambled on- giving every excuse and explanation as to why I couldn't walk her fifteen minutes down the street.

That wasn't like me, and that moment was when I realized I was juggling too much- I had barely been sleeping trying to keep my grades afloat after barely making it through Junior year.
Graduation was approaching and I was making somewhat of a name for myself as a upcoming boxer- still working at Matteo's Place but I was missing shifts due to tournaments and matches.

"Come on, Dominic," I stepped away from the door and let it close. ".. get changed and go the back parking lot- you're running suicides 'til I'm out of breath." Coach Trevor huffed- folding his arms under his chest.

"Coach c'mon y'know I have to get home or my Mama's gonna kill me.." I frowned.

"Then you better get your ass in the parking lot," Coach Trevor scoffed. ".. but you finally told your Mom right? That you've been doing this?"

I frowned, ".. It's complicated."

"Dominic.. your names getting big, kid- if you're serious about this-"

"- I am," I said sternly. "I want to be a boxer more than anything."

".. Then," Coach Trevor continued. "You have to tell her. Even though you're 18 and don't necessarily need her permission, you've been doing this for almost a year now. She's your Mom.. you owe it to her."