Fourty-Three

Hijo Del Corazón
_________________________________________

Hijo Del Corazón_________________________________________

_________________________________________

DOMINIC

Working was nice, but I still felt unsatisfied- maybe it was because Father only called at that point.

- 2014 -

After school I had about two hours before work- Mama just believed that I was at a club in school (extra business courses).
During the week I worked as a cook until 9PM and weekends I worked until 11PM because Matteo didn't want me to be seen since it wasn't technically legal (and I could cook).
On weekends I just told Mama I would be with my friends, and since it wasn't past 12AM she didn't care.

"Take this home to yur Ma."

That night I was sent home with two styrofoam boxes; one of lasagna and another of ribs. Two completely different things but that represented Matteo's Place well.

Late nights always worried Mama so I tried to be home as early as I could. But that night, I drove around- just the low hum of the radio and myself with two sytrafoam boxes seatbelted in the passenger.
I'd never really explored Manhatten like Queens- I only went to the places I needed to be so stumbling upon a playground near some condos and an average neighborhood was a pleasant surprise.

I parked and just sat- Exchange, crickets, and the hum of the car was all I heard and needed to hear.

I didn't want to go home- if that place was home to begin with.

Just a few weeks turned into months which had now become years; we were never going back to Queens- back to our home.
In that moment it seemed to finally hit me and there in that abandoned park.. I wondered how much would change if I just disappeared, if there was no Pierce Co, if it was just father, Mama, and Valerie.

Would it have been better for them?

From the moment Valerie opened her eyes I could just feel the difference between us- she was Father's ideal but everything was already expected to be for me.

My fists clenched and I hurried out of my car- stumbling like some drunk as I slammed the door closed.
My breathing grew ragged as I ran my fingers through my hair, massaged the tense feeling in forehead- just like father.

Was he even my father at this point?

I paced back and forth- the streetlights was all I had to keep me from falling flat on my face.
I paused; I was shaking at this point. I stood in front of a streetlight pole- I wanted to hit it.. so bad.

I kicked at the uncut grass- a decent chunk of foam padding flying onto the cracked concrete sidewalk.
I snatched it up and undid the laces of one of my shoes entirely- quickly tying the piece of foam to the pole.