Fourty-Nine

Second Chances
_________________________________________

Second Chances_________________________________________

_________________________________________

DOMINIC

"You got it, Dominic?"

I placed my bag over my shoulder and took careful steps towards the door.

"I'm good, Coach," I sighed— my body was stiff; I needed to get back in the gym as soon as I could. ".. thank you for this."

"Of course, Dominic," He said. "The moment I got the call— I was a damn mess to say the least."

I scoffed, "I won't die that easy, Coach— I can't."

I could feel the tightness in my side from the stitches— I was still not used to it to this degree. Dr. Maddox told me in about a week or so I'd be able to get them removed.

"I'm taking you to my place for now— until things calm down at least." Coach Trevor muttered.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"You haven't watched the news?"

"No.. been avoiding it in all honestly."

"Well.. shit," He scratched his chin with an exhale. ".. Dominic your name is public now— it got leaked."

Oh.

It was bound to happen after the incident— I knew that.
And I didn't care anymore about it, but what I did care about was the fact that Roselyn would find out from someone that wasn't me. And the media? That was by far the worst source.

I should have just said it that day.
It didn't matter if I interrupted her, or who was in the room I should have just—

"— Dominic? Hey," Coach Trevor murmured— snapping his fingers in front of my face. ".. are you alright? You zoned out for a minute."

I nodded, "Yeah I'm fine— I knew it was gonna happen sooner or later."

I knew how the press worked.
Don't make eye contact, don't talk to them— don't give them anything.
When it came to my case the public were split back then; some thought I did what I had to, others thought I did it just because I wasn't right in the head— that there were other ways of going about it.

And there were— just not in that moment.

"Let's go," I scoffed. ".. the meds are already wearin' off."