Fourty-One

Hijo Del Corazón
_________________________________________

Hijo Del Corazón_________________________________________

_________________________________________

DOMINIC

My first ever clear memory was probably around my fifth birthday.

- 2002 -

".. Domi, mi vida, are you excited?"

My Mama— I can barely remember what she looked like back then; only that she had an afro that I would watch her take care of for hours without getting bored.

"Mhm.." I had spoke quietly— a shy voice for a shy little boy.
I watching Dumbo that day, in Spanish of course, and I loved that movie to death.

"Where's Papa? Wan' Papa.." I had asked her from the living area while I played with my Hot Wheels on the floor.

My Mama left from the kitchen, her footsteps were always light, and she had such a good aura.
I would just know when she was there— it warmed my chest in a good way.

I looked over and reached for my Mama with a pout, and she picked me up with that soft smile— pinching my cheek.

"Papa is never home," I repeated— my pout was even more evident. ".. wan' Papa.."

I remember the way her face changed or more so the feeling it made me feel— her brows furrowed before her expression softened and she brushed back my curls.
"He'll be home later tonight," She hummed— also her voice; her Spanish accent was obvious but not necessarily heavy. ".. past your bedtime— he'll give you night-night kisses. I'll make sure he does, yes Domi?"

I only nodded with a small smile— she poked my little dimple that had become visible due to my genuine grin at the time.

"Kay Mama," I wrapped my little arms around her neck— her skin was always soft and smelt of coconuts and tropical fruits. ".. m'hungry now!"

My Mama played with my curls again while she made her way to the kitchen with me in her arms— though my focus was still on Dumbo which was splayed across our TV.

For a while, I wanted Dumbo as my birthday party theme. But my father didn't like that— he told me 'Dumbo is too.. hmm— let's do Hot Wheels, yeah?' and what could I say to him? That was my father— I was made sure to always be reminded that Mama came from nothing yet they in love by pure chance and because of that I get to live in a big mansion in Mabla.