Fourty-Eight

The Base
_________________________________________

The Base_________________________________________

_________________________________________

DOMINIC

"Ya need to regain yur strength, Dominic."

With one arm, Matteo nudged the bowl of chicken broth at me like I was some child. With the other he held Zeno like he weighed nothing.
I wasn't in the mood to eat- I was trying to figure out my course of action from here on out.

"I'll be alright, Matteo," I murmured right as Becca returned to my room. ".. missing one meal won't kill me."

"Who said anythin' about it killing ya-"

"- Hush it, Matty," Becca huffed while she shut the door behind her. ".. and ya too Dominic! Ya talk too easy about death- ya know how much I worried when Simon called Matteo?"

I sighed, "I'm sorry about that, Becca."

"The way ya are isn't yur fault," She said as she pushed over the hospital bowl and set down a steaming container of her chicken noodle soup. ".. all of us had a part to play."

I opened the container and took one of the plastic spoons.
"You all talk like I'm some lost cause." I muttered before a took a sip of the broth.

"That's not what I mean.. I feel like we didn't try enough. Ya missed out on so much of yur life, Dominic." She mumbled.

"I left you all when I was nineteen, and I came back a twenty-five year old man. I know you two still see as that kid- I'm not a kid though. I know I've seen enough to not be considered one," I paused and both Matteo and Becca gave each other a glance. ".. you two aren't my parents.. you know that right?"

Matteo blinked for a moment before he nodded, "Course I do- I got my boy right here." He lifted up Zeno with both hands and the boy giggled happily.

Becca scoffed, "Of course I know that- those two are enough for me.. and I'm not that much older than ya," She pursed her lips together. ".. ya have a mother, and I think ya should see her.."

"She doesn't need me," I murmured and ate some more soup. ".. don't even bring up Valerie either."

"But do ya need yur Mom, Dominic? Because I think ya do." Becca hummed.

That was a stupid question.

"Zio Dominic.. I uhm," Zeno kicked playfully for Matteo to set him down, and Matteo did what was asked of him. The little boy reached for his Spider-Man backpack off of the recliner and pulled out a paper. ".. I made ya a thingy.." He spoke softly compared to his parents.