Fourty-Five

Hijo Del Corazón
_________________________________________

Hijo Del Corazón_________________________________________

_________________________________________

DOMINIC

Can I really say he's back when he was never here at all?

- 2015 -

"So what colleges have you applied too?"

The atmosphere of dinner had recently been tense between us all, but today was different- the tension only seemed to be between myself and father.
Mama had prepared Carne Salada for the special event that day; I did graduate after all.

"A couple," I lied- poking at my still untouched meal. He made me lose my appetite, even for Mama's Carne Salada. ".. St. John's, Fordham, Baruch- some out of state."

Mama set down Father's plate of his second serving as he took a sip of water. Father seemed too relaxed- was it because I could finally fufill my purpose? Or was it simply he missed them- missed Mama's cooking?

".. Not Columbia or New York?" He said as he set down the glass. He had more facial hair, and his usually gelled hair was loose and shaggy.

"Wouldn't have got in," I told him simply. ".. I have a 4.0 GPA- neither would bother to consider me."

"New York's a nice campus- I went there-"

"- Are you staying?" I questioned; finally talking a bite.

Father stared before he sighed, "Yes."

Mama only managed a bullshit half smile while Valerie got up to go hug Father- I just simply chewed my food. Expected. But I had this already figured out for me.

"What about the house, Dad," Valerie asked while I continued to eat in my own silence. ".. are we going back to Malba?"

"I'm going to sell the house and use the money to buy us a condo," Father told us before a took a sip of his water. "I'm sure you've all built a new life in Manhatten. I think it'd better to stay here."

Valerie nodded, "..Yeah— I'd like to stay here. The colleges are way closer, the school is way better, and I have way more friends."

"Mhm," His focus was never on her— no matter how much I wished it was; he was looking at me. ".. that's great, Valerie."

I couldn't deal with that; with him— with dinners like this for the rest of my life.

"I'm moving out."

Right after I said it— I stuffed my face with food. My appetite seemed to return with a rushing wave of hunger.