Chapter 44

POV: Skylar

"Rise and Shine!" Kenzie knocks loudly on our room door.

I squint into the darkness, Jade still wrapped firmly in my arms.

"You are gonna miss breakfast!" Darleen calls.

"K! Be up in a second!" I shout.

I rest my head on Jade's naked shoulder, listening to her breathe for a second.

"Jade," I whisper.

"Emm," she complains.

"Jade," I sing.

"Five more minutes." She grumbles.

I trail my fingers lightly down the side of her stomach, a ticklish spot.

She flinches in my arms and elbows me.

"Cut it out," she complains.

I do it again.

"Skylar!" she yelps.

I giggle.

"You're gonna make me pee the bed," she elbows me again.

"Then let's get up and join society please," I say.

"Why are you always so energetic after sex?" Jade complains.

"Don't know," I sit up and stretch.

"Keep me up all night, only to wake me up early." She complains.

I giggle and playfully shove her.

She sighs but finally sits up, thus presenting our first problem of the day. I accidentally, well not accidentally, left a huge hickey on her neck. I frown and rub it with my thumb.

"What? Is there a mark?" she asks.

"Everyone's gonna see," I say in worry.

"Whose fault is that," she playfully shoves me.

But I feel my stomach knot together. I don't want people to see, because then they will start asking questions. Questions I don't want to answer. I just want what Jade and I have right now to last as long as possible. Love with no strings. Just comfort when I need it. But if people see this, they will wonder if we are back together. Jade will start acting weird if I say no and everything will be ruined.

"Hey, it's okay. Can't be that bad," Jade says when she sees my panicked look.

"They are gonna see and say something," I say in worry.

"Come on, let me see." Jade gets up.

I turn the light on and follow her to the bathroom.

"Yikes," she says when she sees it in the mirror. "Definitely going to be hard to cover up." She admits.

My heart rate doubles. I can see the headlines now, the tweets and text, the side eyes, and obligatory explanations that don't make sense to anyone but me and Jade. The judgmental stares and looks of pity and condemnation.

"Skylar, skylar, whoa, it's okay." Jade grabs my face to center me.

Only then do I realize I am already mid-panic-attack.

"They are gonna see, they are gonna say something, they are going to ask the question—" I hyperventilate.

"Shh, shh, it's okay. I'll cover it up no problem." She assures me.

"And you're gonna get upset and everything will be ruined," I sob, covering my face.

"Hey, look at me. I don't care what people say. You and I know what we have, the way we have it right now is working for us. It's okay. We know where we stand," she says to me.