Chapter 33

POV: Jade

I set my bags down in my house. It's been a while since I've actually stayed a night or two here. Too painful. Everything in here reminds me of Skylar. It's like a time capsule. Skylar's favorite mug. Skylar's favorite blanket. Skylar's favorite spot on the couch. Everywhere I look I see Skylar.

It hurts.

A lot.

And even though I know it might be years before Skylar is back in this house with me, I can't give up. I am in this for the long haul. I Jade Tate solemnly swear not to give up on my true love, Skylar Lane Clifton. Even if it takes years, I will win her back.

One day at a time.

I take a deep breath and turn on the lights, time to get to work.

I open all the windows to air out the house and start cleaning up. Going room by room. Straightening things out, putting things away. Making it suitable for me to once again live in. After I'm done I unpack and shut up the house, closing the blinds.

Then I call her.

I hold my breath while the line rings and ring and rings.

I feel my heart fall to my stomach as I think all hope is lost, but on the final ring she answers.

"Hey." She says.

And then I can breathe again.

"Hey," I smile.

There is a long pause.

"So how was your day?" I ask.

"Okay." She says.

"Do anything exciting?"

"Went skating last night with Vida. Just got out from Dr. Parkland's office."

"How was that?"

"Brutal, as usual. But she tells me what I need to hear, even if I don't want to hear it. She's really helping me."

"What did she say when you told her I called? Am I being labeled as a bad influence?" I tease.

"I didn't tell her." She says.

"Oh," I blink in surprise. "Well what did Vida say?" I ask.

"I didn't tell her either." She says.

"Well why not?" I ask.

"I don't know," she says softly.

"Skylar I don't want to be a secret. I don't want your doctor or your fiancée to think I'm up to no good. You should tell them." I say.

"What are you up to Jade?" she asks.

"What do you mean?" I play dumb.

"Jade, I know you. I know you are up to something."

"I'm not. I just want my friend back. I'm ready to repair our friendship. Is that okay with you?" I ask.

She sighs.

"I don't want to push you, Skylar. I just... want to make you happy."

"So you've said." She says.

She's different today, more cautious, not giving me an inch. Must be because she just got out of therapy.

"I think you should tell Vida at least. If I were in her shoes I'd want to know." I say.

"I don't want to hurt her." She mumbles.

"Why would it hurt her?"

"I don't know."

"Skylar, you said you are learning to communicate better. So do that, stop keeping things from the people you love just because you are afraid of how they will react. Communicate, I'm sure she'd want to know. And I'm sure you'd want to stop keeping a secret from her."