Chapter 29

POV: Skylar

"And guess what, I caught a crab with my bare hands!" I laugh. "Vida got a picture. I'll send it to you." I wring out my shirt as we get ready to head back.

I don't want to get Vida's car all wet.

"Skylar, are you even listening? We've been worried sick about you. Dr. Parkland said you never showed up and your mom called your school, they said they haven't seen you either. What the hell!?" Aphrodite says.

"Dr. Parkland is the one who told me to go on adventures and live my life, so that's what I'm doing. By the time I realized I forgot my phone it was too late, I was going to do video sessions with her but couldn't. It's not a big deal, I'm still on my meds. We were just down here for a couple of days, just having fun."

"Well, I'm glad you're okay. Next time, call!" she shouts before hanging up.

I sigh.

"Yeesh," Vida takes her phone back.

"Sorry, she can be a pill sometimes."

"You two are broken up, right?"

"Yeah...she dumped me while I was in the mental hospital."

"What a bitch," Vida makes a face.

"Tell me about it," I shake the sand off my sandals.

"It's no use, my car is just gonna get dirty." Vida sighs.

I giggle.

"Okay, tomorrow we—"

"Actually," Vida cuts me off. "I kind of have to get back to work tomorrow. Running out of PTO days."

"Oh," I say in disappointment.

"And by the sounds of it, you should probably head back too."

I sigh.

"Don't be sad, soon winter will be upon us and then we can go ice skating just like you want." Vida grabs my hands in her own.

"It's just... it's been a long time since I've felt this happy. I kind of don't want it to end." I say.

"Me too, I feel the same," Vida says.

"Then let's stay, forever." I plead.

"Oh no you don't, you have to graduate, and I need to pay my bills. We can't be beach bums no matter how fun it is."

I pout.

"Come on, we can drive back in the morning." She helps me into the car.

We go to the truck stop again and once again wash up using their showers and bathrooms. Then after we are all clean of salt water and sand Vida opens the back of her car where a little mattress barely fits in, she had to lay the seats down in her jeep.

I crawl into bed and Vida crawls next to me.

We leave the door open for a little bit to look at the stars.

"Want a snack?" Vida reaches into her picnic bag.

"Yeah, hand me a jello," I say.

"Blue or Orange?"

"Blue."

"But I wanted blue," she pouts.

"Fine, orange." I sigh.

She smirks before handing me blue.

I smile at her.

"Okay, I'm closing the door before we get swarmed by mosquitoes again." She shuts the car.