Chapter 46

POV: Skylar

"You okay?" Vida asks me.

I quickly look away from Jade who is off to the side of the river, just sitting staring at the water. She has her shorts on now and is just drying off all alone by herself. I guess she's ready to head back.

"Huh? Yeah," I smile.

"What's her problem?" Vida asks me.

"I..." I was going to say I don't know, but I do know.

I turn and look at Jade again, she looks up at me and I quickly look away again.

I don't like this. I don't like this horrible feeling I feel right now. I don't like that look she keeps giving me. I don't like the way she's been acting since Vida's gotten here. It's ruined isn't it. The good times are over. She's going to make me choose. She's going to cause a scene. I don't like this.

"I don't know," I finally answer and rest my head on my tube.

"What's your problem," Vida says.

"I don't want things to change," I say. "I want them to stay the way they are right now." I pick at the tube.

"Everything changes every day. Little subtle changes that slowly add up over time to a big change." Vida says.

I look at her then and frown.

"Just go talk to her." She urges.

"W-what?" I suddenly stand upright.

"Skylar come on, I'm not an idiot. I can see you are in love with her again. Just like when we first met."

"I'm not!" I deny.

"Skylar," she looks at me unamused.

I look nervously over to Jade who is now talking to her Dad.

"I'm scared," I whisper.

"Scared of what?"

"Scared I'm making the same mistake again. Scared it will go back to how it was before. Scared... of Jade Tate."

"Well, sometimes the only way to get over our fears is to face them." She says.

I turn to look at her again.

"You've spent all these months searching the country with Jade, did you find what you were looking for?"

"I wasn't searching," I scoff.

"You were, searching for something that was inside of you all along."

"No I-"

"Did you find it; do you know what you want now?"

I sigh and rest my head on the tube.

"What if what I want is impossible? Like there is what I fantasies a relationship with Jade again could look like, and then there is reality." I say.

"Do you take a chance on fantasy, or do you wake up and smell the reality and finally move on?" Vida challenges.

"I don't know," I look over at Jade who is now laughing at something her Dad said, her mom pushes her Dad into the water. "All I know is right now, I like things just the way they are." I smile.

"You are hopeless," Vida sighs and shakes her head.

"Could have told you that one," Oli swims over to us.

"Leave me alone," I splash her.

She slashes me back.

I giggle and soon the three of us are in a splash war.