Chapter 7

POV: Skylar

"They are finally gone," Aphrodite pulls me into her arms.

"Technically they aren't. I mean they are only like two streets over at their cottage. We still have to meet them for lunch." I point out.

"Well they won't be barging in here anymore and that's all that matters."

"True." I smile.

"This now belongs to you," she hands me the spare key.

"What I always wanted," I giggle.

She smiles at me, her cheeks all cute and rosy with blush.

I smile back before pecking her on the lips. I try to lean in for more before she pulls away. I eye her in confusion.

"Well," she clears her throat. "We should get ready to meet them for lunch." She pulls out of my arms.

I frown.

"We still have time," I grab her again.

She averts her eyes from me.

"What? Does my breath stink or something?" I ask.

She sighs before looking into my eyes.

"What?" I ask again.

"Don't be mad at me," she says.

I wait for her to go on.

"I think... well at least I'm pretty sure... I've caught real feelings for you." She says softly.

"Oh." I feel my cheeks heat up.

We stand in silence for a moment.

"I'm assuming you don't feel the same." She says.

"Why are you telling me this now?" I ask.

"I had a talk, with Darleen and Kenzie while you were in the shower earlier. They presented many good points to me. Things I've been fooling myself about and trying not to see. They made me confront my truth, and the truth is I like you, as more than a friend. And Your truth is that you don't feel the same, because you still love Jade. And I realize I am setting myself up for failure and to avoid another disaster like my love for Darleen, I think it's best if we don't... do that stuff anymore."

"Oh." I look down, full of disappointment and this other feeling that causes my guts to twist up and knot together.

She slowly pulls away from me again.

Sighing in disappointment.

"What if... What if you're feelings weren't totally one-sided..." I say.

She looks up into my eyes.

"What if I feel things for you too?" I grab her hands in mine.

"Do you?" she asks.

"I know I don't want this to end. I know you've really come through for me these past few months. I know without you, I'd probably be still laying in bed crying my eyes out. And I know you're right, that part of me still loves Jade. Part of me always will. But my love for Jade shouldn't stop me from being happy. If you can accept that I will always have a soft spot for Jade, then I would like to maybe try this. See where it goes." I say.

"You're probably going to break my heart," she says.

I look down.

She caresses my cheek and I lean into her touch. Her fingers glide across my skin, the tips of her nails leaving a ticklish feeling in their wake.