Chapter 11

POV: Skylar

"Today's the day," she whispers.

I stare out the huge window, curtains drawn, soft moonlight lighting up the room. My heart hasn't stopped beating quickly for the past 2 days. 

Today is the day.

"You nervous?" she brushes my hair behind my ear.

I finally meet her auburn eyes.

"A little," I admit.

"You'll do great."

"I'm only going up against the best of the best in the world," I smirk.

"Is that all?"

I sit up and sigh, she sits up too, rubbing my back.

I have an early start today. I have to be at the stadium by 6 in the morning. It's just past 5. Aphrodite stayed with me in my hotel in Paris these past couple of weeks. My mom and Oli are back in London, but they fly out today. It's only an hour flight.

"I'll go start the shower for you." She says.

"Please," I peck her on the lips.

She gets up and stretches. I follow suit, grabbing our clothes off the floor and tossing them to the side. I grab my clothes and head to the bathroom. Aphrodite flushes the toilet just as I walk in. I pull her nude body into my arms and sway with her for a moment, dancing to nonexistent music.

"You'll be fine, you're going to do great." She assures me as I bury my head into her shoulder.

"I checked my times; they aren't good enough for gold."

"Just try your best. I'll be happy even if you don't medal."

"Tell that to the rest of America," I grumble.

"You got this," she assures me.

I sigh and pull away before stepping into the shower. She steps in after me, rubbing my back as warm water washes over us. I take a deep breath to center myself before getting into the mindset. After a quick shower, I get changed and put on my shoes before I get a ride to the stadium.

After going through the many checkups and stretching and warming up I find myself out on the track. It's like I blinked, and I was there. The stadium is full, I loosen up and bounce in place at the start line. I'm in the team America uniform, a number on my chest.

The ladies next to me varying in age and size do various versions of loosening up and stretching, getting ready for the match.

My mom and sister get a sideline seat. I wave at them, and they smile at me and cheer me on. I look into the stands and see Aphrodite, but she's not alone. Darleen and Mackenzie are with her, but also,

Jade.

She smiles big and wide at me, waving hi.

I can't help but smile back and wave at them.

"You got this!" I hear Jade cheer.

I giggle.

"Runner's line up." The announcers say.

I take my spot and get into position.

We wait, and the world around me goes silent as I zone in. I take three deep breaths, staring at the track in front of me. Then, the starting shot and we all take off. It's just me and the track. The people around me fade away, including all the other runners.

I just run, as hard and as fast as I can. Putting everything I got into it. All or nothing. One foot in front of the other, my shoes crunching on the ground with each step. With each breath, the finish line gets closer and closer.