Chapter 2

POV: Skylar

"You owe me an explanation."

I sigh and stare out the window. She's probably the last person I want to tell everything to, but I didn't want to bother Kenzie or Darleen. Plus, Lexi and I aren't that close. She was my last option. Besides, the others would have just pitied me and coddled me, and I am not in the mood for that.

I could use a good helping dose of the cold harsh truth.

And no one is better a dishing it out than Aphrodite.

"If I'm going to drive you all the way back to LA I want an explanation," She demands.

"Thank you for doing this, I didn't really know who else to call. My funds are pretty tight right now, I couldn't afford a flight." I say.

"Why didn't you just ask Jade?"

I feel my lips crease into a thin line.

"Oh, I see." She says smugly.

I sigh again.

"When did you two start fighting? You know I sensed something was up with you two. You hardly looked at her all night, always on your phone. And then she got plastered to try to hide her obvious distress at that fact. I'm surprised no one else picked up on it actually."

"It's been going on for a while," I say.

"How long?"

"Since she went to Canada for her show."

"That long?"

"Well, it was fine at first. Maybe the first couple of months. But... like always with Jade, things quickly got out of hand. Constant fighting, bickering, and accusing one another. She is really stressing me out. I broke it off with her a few months ago, just after Thanksgiving."

"Like broke up broke up, or like you guys' version of break up which is just you two switching off between fighting and fucking."

I sigh again.

"Got it." She says.

"Don't tell anyone, please." I finally turn to her.

"Why bring me into all this? I thought you hated me."

"I know you're going to judge me regardless, and I can't take judgment from anyone else. I don't want to be looked at like a sad little puppy. Or have people say told you so. I just... needed someone who would be real with me. Not pile on the bullshit." I say.

"Hmph, well I'm honored." She flicks her hair.

I roll my eyes.

"And for the record, I don't hate you," I say.

"Sure," it's her turn to roll her eyes.

"You just annoy me," I say.

"Back at you."

"I'm annoying? How?" I challenge.

"You are such a pushover, too afraid to ever say what needs to be said. You just let things build and build and build until you get crushed under the weight. And you deflect and don't even get me started on how childish you are. I can go on all day."

"You are way more annoying than me."

"Deflecting," she sings.

"Whatever," I turn in my seat.

"Childish." She finishes.

I scoff and roll my eyes.

We drive in silence for a moment.