Chapter 9

POV: Skylar

"Ta-da!" Aphrodite gestured to all of us.

"Whoa..." Kenzie and I say in unison.

Aphrodite thought it would be a good idea for the four of us to get away from everything and just go on a little retreat together. She pulled out all the stops too, she and Darleen paid for it together.

The rooms are so amazing, super extravagant, and fancy. It almost felt like a crime to breathe in the same vicinity as Aphrodite. Sometimes I forget how rich she is. This spa resort has everything. A built-in five-star restaurant. An area where you can get a personal message and spa treatment. People who park your car and take your bags to your room for you. Complimentary drinks and snacks are already in your room. And my personal favorite, natural hot springs outside, ones you can even reserve for private use.

"Jaws off the floor ladies, we are high-class citizens here," Aphrodite says.

Kenzie and I look at each other and smile before running over to the biggest bed and jumping up and down on it. Aphrodite face palms at us and Darleen giggles.

"This is so awesome!" Kenzie squeals in excitement.

"Make room for me!" Darleen jumps on the bed too.

"That's my bed!" Aphrodite pouts.

I jump onto the ground and grab her hands forcing her to jump on the bed with us. She rolls her eyes but eventually laughs and joins us.

"Okay, what first?" Kenzie stops bouncing.

"Hmm, good question..." I ponder next to her.

"I get the feeling you two are taking advantage of us." Darleen chuckles.

"What!?" Kenzie says.

"Us!? Never." I deny.

We look at each other and laugh again.

"Yeah right," Aphrodite smacks us with a pillow.

"You know you can't resist me," I pull Aphrodite into my arms.

She giggles and looks up into my eyes before kissing me.

"Anyway!" Darleen quickly interrupts. "How about something to eat?"

"It was a long drive since someone wouldn't let us take my jet." Aphrodite smacks me in the stomach.

"Go green, save the planet." I shrug.

"I miss Sprinkle." Kenzie pouts.

"Relax, I hired the best dog sitter. Promise. Plus, we could use a little me time." Darleen pulls Kenzie into her arms.

"Fine," Kenzie sighs.

"Well ladies, let's get dressed then." Aphrodite jumps off the bed.

So the four of us grab our finest clothes and get all dolled up for dinner.

"Sometimes I still find it hard to believe..." Kenzie says softly to me as we wait for Aphrodite to finish getting ready and for Darleen to come out of the bathroom.

"Hmm?" I turn to her.

"Sometimes I think I'll wake up and this will all be some fairy tale, and it all just vanishes in the blink of an eye. Darleen...she's really something, you know?" she meets my eyes.

Fear and vulnerability sparkling up at me from her soft grey-blue eyes.

"I know," I smile softly for her, to comfort her. "And you shouldn't worry about all that stuff Kenzie. It's real, this is all real. And even if it wasn't... you should still enjoy it. Every last second of it."