Chapter 50

POV: Skylar

I couldn't sleep. With everything that happened with Vida and then Jade telling me all that stuff about her job, how she has to get back to work soon. My mind was restless. The thunderstorm rattled the windows to our room, not that Jade would know. She's out for the count. I'm pretty sure a bomb going off wouldn't wake her.

It takes me a moment to strategically peel myself from her side. While a bomb may not wake her, the moment she notices I'm not by her side she'll be up in half a second asking where I am and what I'm doing.

I quietly leave the room and walk to our floor's lounge, might as well watch some TV or something to calm my nerves. But when I walk in, it's not as empty as I had expected, Aphrodite is there, sitting at the window watching the rain.

She turns to me, having heard me walk in.

We lock eyes and my stomach fills with dread.

"Sorry, I didn't know you'd be in here," I mumble.

"Can't sleep either?" She asks.

She looks to be in a palatable mood. So, I approach her and cautiously sit by her.

"Nah, my thoughts are too loud. You?" I ask.

"The rain." She stares out the window again just as a huge flash of lightning makes the sky rumble loudly.

We sit in silence for a moment. The storm reminds me of the last time the two of us were alone together. As if she were thinking the same thing, we look up and meet each other's eyes.

A Couple of Months Ago

"I don't know what to do, I've never seen her like this. I'm scared," Jade sobs.

"Just, let me handle it. I can watch her. Take a break, just take a day or two to collect yourself. I got this." Aphrodite assures her.

They act like I'm not even in the room with them. Maybe I'm not. Maybe my mind and soul are years away from this moment. Enjoying a much happier time.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, your freaking out is only making it worse. Go, I've seen Skylar like this before. I can handle this. Try to keep everything on the down low, we don't need any of your fans coming here to make everything worse. You both just need to take a break, once the sky isn't falling we will regroup and see if it's even healthy for Skylar to continue this trip."

"Okay," Jade sobs.

Aphrodite sighs and pulls Jade into her arms.

"This isn't your fault," she assures Jade. "Things like this... can make you feel that way, but it's not. Skylar is just going through something. We just have to be there for her. That's all we can do."

"I'm so scared, I've never seen her like that before. I thought she was going to—"

I get up and leave the room, walking over to the room balcony. I don't want to see them continue to talk about me like I'm not even here. I take in a deep breath, my hands clenched tightly to the railing.

It smells like it's going to rain soon. That thick type of air, charged, heavy. A bad storm is coming, at least the dark grey clouds in the sky say so.

I was clenching the bars so hard that the hospital bracelet on my wrist left an indent on my skin.

Finally, I hear Jade leave, the door to the room rattling the windows as it closes.

Aphrodite comes to join me soon after.

We stand next to each other, staring out at the lake. The lake I was just on yesterday before I had a complete and total meltdown and had to be taken to the hospital.