Chapter 28

POV: Jade

"You've got to be kidding me Kenzie, these dresses?" I hold the ugly bridesmaid dress.

"What! I like it," she pouts.

"Kenzie, your wife-to-be is stinking rich, you can do better." I shake my head.

"Jade," she pouts.

"How's it coming in here?" Darleen pulls the curtain back to peek in at us as we look at dress options.

"Darleen, are you serious!?" I show her the dress.

"What?"

"I'm surrounded by tasteless imbeciles." I sigh.

"Okay drama queen, that's why you're here. To help us." Darleen rolled her eyes.

"Help me please, I don't know what I'm doing!" Kenzie begged.

"It's either you or my aunt, somehow you were the better option." Darleen shudders.

"I don't even know if I want to be the maid of honor anymore. Isn't it going to be awkward to have Skylar and me standing next to each other after everything?" I set the dress down.

"Well, you won't have to worry about that," Kenzie says cautiously.

"Why?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Because," Darleen sighs. "Skylar dis-invited herself to our wedding. Saying it was better for everyone."

"What!?"

"Jade just let her be, she's been through enough. If she's not ready, she's not ready. Besides we still have weeks until the wedding, maybe she'll change her mind." Kenzie shrugs.

I sigh.

"Have you heard from her since..." Darleen asks.

"No... she doesn't want to talk to me." I plop down on the bench.

"She's just focused on her recovery. She has a lot going on. Mom told me that Skylar's mom said she lost her scholarship because of her slipping grades. And she lost her spot on the track team. She's barely keeping afloat. Skylar has a lot going on, I heard she even got a job." Kenzie said.

That just makes me worry ten times more.

I wish she would just talk to me.

"How are things with Andrea?" Kenzie changes the subject.

"Okay," I smile.

"Just okay?"

"Uh... good?" I said confused.

"Just good?"

"What's wrong with good and okay?" I cross my arms.

"Well, you never gush about her. You never bring her around." Kenzie points out.

"She's high profile, we aren't really that serious yet." I defend myself.

"Ah, I get it," Darleen says.

I eye her.

"You don't want to bring her around your lame and not famous family."

"No!" I say too quickly.

"Jade." Kenzie eyes me.

"Maybe..." I mumble.

"Jade," Kenzie sighs.

"It's high stakes okay, I'm just trying to keep it casual between us. Build it up. Andrea is... is actually pretty cool, and sweet, and maybe I kind of really like her. I just... I don't want to scare her away with everything. Our family is not so secretly biased towards Skylar, what if they don't like her?" I ask.