Chapter 14

POV: Skylar

The longer I stare at them, the more unbelievable it becomes. Two gold medals. Two! They shine so nice now, Aphrodite got them cleaned for me. We got a case for them. I could stare at them all day.

"Thought I'd find you here," she walks up behind me and wraps me in her arms.

"I did that," I say.

"Yeah, you did." She kisses my shoulder.

"Feels so unreal," I say.

"You know what's unreal? The amount of time it's been since you and I had some quality alone time." She kisses her way up my neck to my ear.

I giggle and turn to her, "Maybe if someone let me get that new toy I've been wanting, I'd happily give you that quality alone time, give it to you all night long."

"Oh my god, ew!" Oli cries out.

We both flinch and turn to her standing in the doorway.

"My ears!" she runs out of the room.

I sigh.

Aphrodite pouts and looks back at me.

"Just one more day and they are gone." I point out.

"Then I want that quality alone time." She whacks me in the stomach before walking off.

I follow her out of the room and walk over to Oli who is shaking her head and covering her ears.

"Really," I glare at her.

"You killed me," she complains.

"Grow up," I roll my eyes.

"What happened?" Mom asks from the couch where she does her makeup and watches tv at once.

"The vile words shall not be repeated," Oli says.

"Countess do me a favor and claw her face off." I turn to the cat sitting on a bar chair.

She blinks slowly at me, unamused.

"Behave you two," mom chastises us.

"Hey," Aphrodite snaps at me. "You're supposed to be getting dressed, remember?"

I sigh again and walk over to our room to change.

"I hate fancy dinners," I pout and drag myself to the closet.

"My stupid step troll is making us. It's supposed to be to celebrate you." She rolls her eyes and helps me pick out something to wear.

"I'm only doing this to finally meet your parents," I say.

"You'll wish you hadn't by the end of the night." She snorts in amusement.

I shake my head and start stripping out of my clothes to change.

After much prepping we finally arrive at the restaurant right on time. Aphrodite's stepmom is waiting for us, or as she calls her, the step troll, with her gremlin daughter standing right next to her.

According to Aphrodite, her mom and dad have been divorced for a while. But they still keep in touch often and her dad still supports her mom financially. Her dad has a new armpiece every other year she says, this year's edition calls itself stepmom because the woman made her dad propose to her. Of course, her dad learned his lesson with Aphrodite's biological mother and always makes his new girl's sign prenups when they get with him. That way he doesn't have to pay them a dime once he dumps them.

Smart man.

Aphrodite says she's always been closer to her dad than her mom, and that she and her dad are very similar in personality. He likes to keep to himself, never comes out in public if he can avoid it, and he has a particular taste and opinion about everything. She warned me he can be rude and hard to get used to at first.