Chapter 23

POV: Jade

My phone keeps blowing up with notifications and calls.

"Turn it off," Andrea complains, rolling over and covering her head with a pillow to block out the sun and help her hangover.

I grumble and reach for it, squinting in the dimly lit room to see what the hell is going on.

Lots of social media dm's, many texts from friends and family, lots of missed calls.

"What the hell?" I force myself to sit up and rub the sleep from my eyes.

I click open my Twitter and I've been tagged over 500 times in an article, I click it open.

The headline reads, US Olympian tries to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge.

Everything in me goes cold.

"No, no, no..." I quickly click open my text.

Darleen: Call me as soon as you get this.

Kenzie: Jade pick up the phone, it's an emergency. Call me.

Aunty: She's okay, call us!!!!

Aphrodite: Pick up the damn phone!

Skylar's mom: She's okay, please call us back.

Mika: Don't look at the news, call me.

Callen: Are you okay?

Greg: Are you okay? Call us.

"Holy shit," I'm shaking.

"What?" Andrea sits up.

I call Skylar first.

Straight to voicemail.

So then I call Kenzie.

"Jade!"

"What the hell happened!?" I demand.

"Don't freak out, she's okay."

"Is she in the hospital, is she hurt!?" I quickly start getting dressed.

"She had a mental breakdown. She's okay, they were able to catch her when she jumped." Kenzie says.

"I'm gonna be sick," I set the phone down and run to the bathroom to puke.

"Hey Mackenzie, this is Andrea, what's going on?" I hear Andrea pick up the phone.

There is a pause.

"She what!?"

I force myself off the floor and wash out my mouth before washing my face.

"Is she alright?"

I take a deep calming breath and dry my face before grabbing the phone and putting it on speaker.

"Okay, I'm back," I say.

"Her mom texted everyone she's okay. She's currently being held for observation in a mental hospital. They have labeled her a risk to herself and others." I hear Darleen speak up.

"What the hell happened!? Why did she do this?" I demand.

"Don't you know? She called you like a billion times according to her mom."

"What..." I look at my missed calls, scrolling down a ways before I see all the missed calls from the unlabeled number.

"Jesus Jade didn't you pick up at least once!?" Kenzie says.

"We were kind of busy," Andrea says.

"All that matters is that she's okay. There is a video out, I'd advise you not to watch it if you haven't seen it already. Someone filmed Skylar... it's not pretty. Aphrodite is working to get it taken down." Darleen says.