Chapter 51

POV: Jade

Skylar's different today. This morning at breakfast everyone noticed Aphrodite was gone. Skylar keeps looking at her empty chair, a sad and solemn look on her face. I guess the two of them never resolved their issues.

I keep trying to comfort her but she's distant. Has hardly said two words to me all morning. When I pushed her on it she looked me in the eyes and told me she was in pain right now, but didn't want to talk about it. Said in time she'd be okay again. She promised me.

I guess I have to give her space, but I'm just so worried. The last thing I want is for her to backslide in her recovery. Not when we are finally in a good place.

"Okay we are going to do the boat tours today, and nothing is going to stop us," I announce.

"Fine, we'll do your boring boat tour," Vida yawns.

"Hey! It's not boring." I pout.

Everyone gives me an unamused expression.

"You'll love it, promise."

"If you say so." Oli shrugs.

So our slightly dysfunctional family plus Vida all make our way to the San Marcos River again, this time not in our swimsuits. That's when we run into lifesaver dude.

"Hey! It's you! See I knew it was destiny. We had to come today." I run over to him.

"Oh Jade Tate, didn't expect to see you again." He says sheepishly as he works the ticket booth for the clear bottom boat tours.

"I've been looking for you!" I reach past the counter and shake him by the shoulders.

"Jesus Jade, don't kill him," Kenzie says.

Everyone chuckles.

"Well you found me, I work here as a way to help pay for college." He laughs and removes my hands.

His name tag says Bowser.

"Bowser?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Hey don't look at me, I didn't pick the name. My parents did. I go by Bo."

"Bo you literally saved my life, is there any way I can ever repay you?"

"Pay my college tuition," He says jokingly.

"Done." I shrug.

"What! For real!?"

"Jade you haven't even finished school yourself." Skylar points out.

"So, look at the man. Stuck working out in this heat to sell ten-dollar tickets to whatever nerds decide to take a boat tour today."

"I'm not a nerd," Oli pouts.

"Yeah, you're the nerd," Vida says.

"Regardless! We nerds unite. And I can easily afford to pay for your college." I assure Bo.

"Really, like for real? You shitting me?"

"Bo! Boat's waiting, get the line moving!" Some crusty old lady calls.

"Hey Lady, Bo quits!" I shout.

"Fuck yes! Oh my god! This is the best day of my life!" He laughs and hops over the counter.

"Wait, can we get some tickets first," I say.

Skylar facepalms.

"Classic Jade," Darleen sighs.

"What's going on over here?" The old woman hobbles over.

"Remember that story I told you, about me saving that actress from drowning."