Chapter 34

POV: Jade

"You've reached Skylar, leave a message and I'll get back to you."

I sigh when I hear the beep and then hang up the phone, marking another red x on the calendar by my bed. 10 days since I tried to make her hear me out, 10 days since she's ignored my calls.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no one more stubborn on this earth than Skylar Clifton.

"You need to go grocery shopping this place is barren!" Kenzie calls.

I sigh again.

"Seriously, what do you even eat?" Darleen adds.

I drag myself up from the bed and over to the kitchen where the two continue to try and raid my pantry.

"Any luck?" Kenzie asks without turning to me.

"No," I plop down at the bar.

This is a disaster; I rest my head in my hands and sigh again.

"Jade, as your cousin and closest confidant I think it's time you give this a rest. You tried, but Skylar isn't interested. Let's move on now." Kenzie turns to me.

"I can't," I say softly.

They both sigh.

"Look, why don't you just come home for thanksgiving tomorrow and put the whole thing on the back burner?" Kenzie says.

"Can't... Skylar will probably be there." I say.

They sigh again.

Wait a second, Skylar will probably be there! Hello Jade, you can try to talk to her in person again. They say the third times the charm.

"Actually, I'm going." I stand up suddenly.

"oh no, we triggered her," Kenzie says.

"If Skylar is there, then I'll be able to talk to her."

"Not a good idea," Darleen says.

"She has to hear me out." I slam my fist on the counter.

"Oh boy, here we go again." Kenzie shakes her head.

"So what exactly is the plan here?" Darleen finds my box of cookies and opens them. "So you go and talk to her? Then what? You've already struck out how many times now? What can you say any differently to change her mind?"

"Stop pointing out good points!" I snap at her.

She sighs.

"Jade," Kenzie sits down next to me. "Darleen's right. All you're doing is ripping open the wound over and over and over. No wonder why Skylar is ignoring you."

"Well, what would you do?" I challenge. "Say the shoe were on the other foot and you were trying to win Darleen back, what would you do?"

"I wouldn't do anything, if Darleen isn't happy with me I'm not going to force her to stay," Kenzie says like it's obvious.

Behind her, Darleen makes a face of disapproval but says nothing.

"And you?" I turn to Darleen.

"If it were me, and I lost Kenzie, and I needed to win her back...I'd remind her why she fell in love with me in the first place. I'd never stop until I made it perfectly clear just how much she means to me." she says while looking Kenzie in the eyes.

Kenzie gives her a shy smile and blushes.

"I don't know why Skylar fell in love with me!" I flail my hands, breaking up their tender moment.

They both frown at me.

"Jade, just give it a rest already," Kenzie says.

"Let her be," Darleen adds.

Never.

I have to do this, I have to figure this out.

"Come on, I'll help you pack." Kenzie stands up.

I sigh and follow her.

Darleen and Kenzie are here for moral support, just for the weekend. Tomorrow the three of us are flying back home. So far, they have been no help at all, and have eaten all my snacks. Jerks.

We pack in silence as I stare at the t-shirt in my hand. It used to be Skylar's, I stole it from her and would wear it to sleep...

Kenzie eyes me and she folds my clothes.

"Sometimes..." I start.

She pauses folding.

"Sometimes I think... if I would have known accepting that acting job for evil eyes would have led to all of this, I would have never taken it. Sometimes I wonder if it's all worth it. That maybe...maybe I'm not cut out for acting after all." I say softly.

"Don't say that," she moves to comfort me.

"Why? Why don't they teach you this in school? Why doesn't anyone teach you what to do or what to say when your dream gets in the way of your happiness? Why?" my voice cracks as my eyes fill with tears.

"I don't know," she says softly.

"What am I doing?" I sob and use the shirt to cover my face.

"Jade," she rubs my back.

"What am I doing Kenzie? I feel so lost, so confused, scared." I sob.

"Come here," she pulls me into her arms.

I bury my head into her shoulder and just let it all out. Just cry and cry and cry, finally letting myself feel the pain, the anger, the sadness.

I have accepted my defeat but that doesn't make me feel any better.

If anything I feel worse.

Much worse.