Chapter 12

POV: Jade

It takes me a moment to realize that she fell asleep. Tsk, typical Skylar. She's always been like that, the moment I pull her into my arms to cuddle, she's out like a light. I smile and nuzzle deeper into her, enjoying this moment while I have it.

For a second, it feels like it did before. As if we were at our house and she came home from a late-night run. I'd turn the tv off and go to her, she'd meet me halfway with a kiss. The way she'd look into my eyes then as if I was the only beautiful thing left in the whole entire world, a precious artifact to be admired and protected.

How I wish I could go back to that moment, look her right back in the eyes and tell her how much I fucking love her. How I don't give a damn about anything else. Not work, not school, nothing. I'd throw it all away for her, show her how serious I am. Maybe then I wouldn't lose her.

I flinch when the bathroom door opens and out steps the literal embodiment of beauty and grace. Ugh, does she have to be so pretty? I mean I get it, your name is Aphrodite, and you're rich, and the heiress to an even bigger fortune to come, do you have to be so fucking gorgeous too? Some people really do get it all.

She's not wearing clothes, water drips off her body like dew drips from a flower. She could be carved out of marble, I haven't checked. I wouldn't put it past her. Add it to the list of her crowning achievements, right next to wife stealer.

"Oh, you're here." She says in a deadpan voice, her eyes locking on me.

She doesn't even bother to cover up.

"Sorry, I was just leaving until Skylar fell—"

"Save it." She walks over to me.

I get up to face her.

"Your nice girl act doesn't fool me one bit. You need to leave, and I mean really leave. Skylar doesn't need you anymore, doesn't want you anymore, and is better off without you. Get the hell out of our room, and out of her life. Let her be happy. All you do is drag her down, haven't you caused her enough pain?" she gets in my face.

I feel tears rise. My body is caught in fight or flight. I'm both threatened and pissed. I want to slap the pretty off her fucking face. I don't care if she is a Greek goddess, who the hell does she think she is, talking to me like that?

I clench my jaw and never break eye contact with her.

"Did I stutter? Leave." She growls.

I take a deep breath, while every fiber of me wants to put this bitch in her place, I have to be the bigger person. For Skylar's sake. The last thing I want is for her to wake up to a screaming match because of me.

Even though I hate to admit it, Aphrodite is right, I've caused her enough pain.

"I'm sorry. I overstepped. I'm leaving." I push past her.

"And do yourself a favor and stop being so pathetic, wearing the rings around your neck, really? Grow the fuck up." She says.

I pause by the door, my hand reaching to cover the rings. I forgot I had taken them out of my shirt for all the world to see. She doesn't get to judge, she hasn't been in the position I have. She isn't the one who lost a years-long relationship in the blink of an eye. She doesn't know these rings are so much more than a cry for attention. They are the embodiment of my love for Skylar. 

Who does she think she is anyway!? She can't just--

Don't Jade, be the bigger person. Don't cause a scene, she wants you to be the bad guy. So that way when Skylar wakes up she can point and say look, see what you saved yourself from. Don't give her fuel to the fire.

"I'm sorry if you feel threatened by me. I'll tell you what I told Skylar. I really am happy for you and want you two to be happy. I won't get in the way of your relationship. If she wants to be with you, then I'll let her. Personally, I don't see the appeal," I walk out and slam the door.

I have to clench my hands to stop myself from turning right back around and giving that bitch a piece of my mind. Oh please, like she's actually fooling anyone! She's just pissed because she knows all I have to do is snap my fingers and Skylar will come running. She knows Skylar still loves me, that's why she's so scared of me.

Well, I'm not scared of her, not one bit.

Not even a little.

No matter how pretty.

Or rich.

Or...

As soon as the elevator doors close I break down.

I cover my face and sob into my hands.

I hate her.

Fuck her.

Wife stealing bitch.

But...

She didn't steal my wife.

Skylar and I were never married.

Skylar broke up with me.

Skylar went to her, willingly.

Because she cares about Skylar, she loves Skylar in ways I fell short of. If Skylar wanted to be with me, she would be. Skylar won't come when I snap my fingers, it's me who goes crawling back to her when she snaps her fingers. She knows this, she knows she can be with me with the snap of her fingers.

So why hasn't she snapped?

It's because she really is better off without me.

I ruined everything we had together.

Not her.

Me.

The relationship fell apart because of me.

I'm the one who kept ignoring her pleas for love and attention.

I'm the one who got after her any time she tried to make friends and got a little too close to other girls.

I'm the one who left her behind while I went to parties and premieres and all the other stupid events that seem like nothing now. She was always there, waiting for me, watching me out her window, waiting for me by the door until I got home, staring at her phone until I called her.

I guess, she got tired of waiting for me to get back to her.

Why am I like this?

Skylar's right. When we were together, I took for granted everything that we had, and now that we are apart... I see it all so clearly it hurts. God does it fucking hurt. What is wrong with me?

If I could go back, I would.

Oh Skylar, I'm so sorry.