Chapter 6

POV: Skylar

A few months later.

"You seem pretty happy," Darleen points out to me as we walk up the steps of the fancy apartment.

"Huh, oh, I'm just excited. I've never been to London before."

"Heard from Jade?" Kenzie asks.

"Emm, yeah. I checked on her before I left."

When we walk inside Aphrodite is waiting for us. Her eyes light up when she sees us.

"Hey!" she runs over to me and into my arms.

I giggle and whirl her around.

Kenzie and Darleen share a look.

Truth is, things have been on the up and up for me since Jade and I officially separated. Things got bad at first. It only took a day before it leaked to the public. Jade had to make a statement and confirm the rumors that we indeed had broke things off.

Of course, all her crazy fans started harassing me and all that. I had to delete all my social media accounts and go off the grid for a while. Even at school, they would come to my track meets to boo me and throw things at me.

It was... a lot to handle.

Eventually, the hate died down and people started to leave me alone after Jade chastised her fans for doing those things to me. Then I finally qualified for the Olympics. Which was like a highlight for me. I was so happy and excited. I mean, I get to compete for America, in Paris.

How could I not be excited?

It took a while for Jade to finally start talking to me again. Even though we aren't engaged anymore we are still best friends. I check up on her regularly and she calls to talk to me at least once a week. Crazy that now we are separated from each other, our relationship is healthier than ever.

Does it still hurt?

Obviously, no one gets over a relationship like that overnight. But I'm remaining strong. Plus I had a little help in moving on to bigger and better things.

"Look at you, Olympian. Ready to win that gold?" Aphrodite asks me.

"More than ready, I was born for gold," I say.

"That's the spirit."

Darleen clears her throat.

"Oh, hey!" Aphrodite walks over to them and embraces them together for a fraction of a second before walking back over to me and leading us to her apartment.

After Jade and I broke up, for real, Aphrodite was really there for me. She'd come and visit me every weekend, sometimes even more than that. Always cheering me up and getting me to get out of bed and train for track.

We never became an item, but we did get pretty close. We are, like, friends with benefits. Sometimes things get heated and romantic between us, but we never let it get in the way of our friendship. We are just friends... with fun perks.

Besides, Aphrodite was finally able to move on from Darleen too. She even started dating this other girl she told me all about. But that didn't last long, the other girl was still in the closet and didn't want to come out for Aphrodite, so they broke up.

Aphrodite went back to Cambridge after her semester abroad, I had to stay in LA to qualify for the Olympics. This is the first time I've seen her since she went back, it's been at least a month, maybe 2 since we've seen each other in person.

But we still talk constantly.

Darleen and Mackenzie don't know about any of this though.

Out of the blue Aphrodite invited me to London to see her, and I said yes. But then we found out Darleen and Kenzie were also going to visit London this summer, so we all just went together. I'll stay with Aphrodite while they get their own place. They plan to stay here for the summer.