Chapter 18

POV: Skylar

I honestly don't know what's worse, not telling Aphrodite about Vida, or not telling her about Jade. Actually, that's a lie. I do know what's worse. I just don't want to admit it.

I would be lying if I said I didn't at least hope something would happen between me and Jade.

I think a part of me will always hope for it.

Maybe I'm broken or something, like a scratched CD that can only play one song. Maybe I really do need to go to therapy. It can't be healthy for me to keep on living like this. For my emotions to keep on doing this to me. This constant up and down, eventually I'll get stuck in the down part and not be able to find the ups anymore.

I super clean my apartment after I get off the phone with her. She's catching the first flight out here after work. Calling in some of her sick days. Apparently, she really needs to see me.

With each passing second my heart races.

I end up falling asleep and wake up to her pounding at my door at three in the morning. When I open it to let her in she's all in disguise. Ball cap, hair tied back, an oversized jacket, and sweatpants.

I let her in a shut the door behind her.

"Um, just make yourself at home." I rub the sleep from my eyes.

"Can I lay with you? I'm pooped," she pouts.

"Sure," I drag myself back to my room, pushing Cloud off the bed.

He glares at me but rubs against Jade's leg as he walks off. Drama king.

"My baby," Jade bends down to pet the Countess who is asleep on her bed on the floor. She stretches out and purrs and Jade pets her.

Jade's always been her favorite.

I yawn and make room on the bed, letting Jade have the right side. That's always been her favorite side of the bed. She sheds her shoes and jacket, setting her small bag down before turning off the lights and climbing into bed with me.

We don't cuddle up, at least not at first.

But in my sleepy haze, I end up drifting into her arms.

As soon as I do, I'm out for the count.

We wake to my alarm for school only hours later.

Jade grumbles a complaint and I turn it off before going back to sleep.

We wake again hours later, closer to noon. Jade is completely relaxed in bed, softly playing with my hair. Running her fingers through it over and over. I think she's been awake for some time.

I take a deep breath and stretch, snuggling up closer to her.

"Skylar we need to talk," she says softly.

"So talk." I close my eyes and rest my head on her chest.

She's silent for a moment.

"What is this?" she finally asks.

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean."

We lay in silence again.

"Skylar," she sits up forcing me up too.

I sigh and sit right, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"I'm confused." She says.

I look her in those heart-stopping jade green eyes.

"One minute you want nothing to do with me, you say I'm the problem, that I'm making your life miserable. The next you're calling me every day and telling me stuff like your voice makes me sleep better or you miss how warm I am. Then you say you want to stop talking to me, THEN you say I can come over whenever. What the fuck!?" She demands.