68

LXVIII

LXVIII. STRETCHING THE TRUTH

azalea montez |

KATHLEEN STARED AT AZALEA WITH THE PROUDEST OF SMIRKS ON HER FACE. they sat in the DA's office, waiting for the DA so they could begin their meeting. azalea was finishing her explanation on what she did before arriving to the office. upon her findings from working late the previous night, there was something in her that was pushing her to meet with their client. of course she couldn't tell derek exactly what she was going to be doing since she met their client at the local correction facility. if derek found out, she was sure he would put her on lockdown again. or probably get her taken off the case.

she explained to kathleen how she got in to see their client, finding new injuries on his body that weren't in the photos of their evidence. she was smart enough to photograph the new injuries, as well as learning the guards were not only still refusing to give him his medication but taking the pills for themselves. she was told in self defense he had accidentally struck a guard when attempting to block a blow to the face. the downside of this was any jury would still side with any law enforcement than someone already prosecuted.

she knew this was going to be a hard fight but something about kathleen told her it would all work out in their favor. she could see herself learning a lot from her which made her excited for this. now she was thinking about it, she was leaning more toward learning under kathleen than wanting to learn from michael and jamie's law firm. the only thing she was waiting on was that would give her the right choice in her decision was her trust in kathleen. she was still figuring out if she could her trust or not. judging by the way jamie and michael seemed to be on eggshells around kathleen, maybe azalea should too?

but there was something about this woman azalea wanted to learn from. there was more to her than what meets the eye. she had to go with her gut, and that was telling her to see what kathleen has to offer her. if she wanted to be the best in the world of law, she had to take risks for herself.

she knew what she had to do.

"how did you get in to see our client?" kathleen asked her.

azalea sheepishly looked at her, "i might've told them i was his lawyer."

"hmm," she hummed, titling her head as she stared back at azalea. "still it takes a few days to get in to meet with them."

"i also might've told them i could call up some organizers i know, get a news crew down there." she added sheepishly.

kathleen smirked in amazement at azalea, a little bit surprised by the girl's sneaky actions, "and willing to stretch the truth. so why don't you just represent him yourself?"