18

xviii

xviii. TWO CAN PLAY

Azalea Montez |

AZALEA PULLED AWAY FROM DEREK'S EMBRACE, CHASING A CHOKED WHINE FROM HIM. She stared at him with a confused and worried look plastered on her face. What did he mean when he said she was in danger? And for what? How could she possibly be in danger? Seeing the look in his eyes made her even more nervous. 

"What do you mean I'm in danger?" Her voice came out in a quiet whisper. A sudden ache washed over her for a second when she put more distance between them. She ignored it however.

"There's an army of rogue wolves that are against me. They want me dead and they want to hurt you to get to me." He explained in such a quiet tone he thought she wouldn't be able to here him. "But I'm not going to let anyone get near you, okay? No one is going to lay a finger on you. I promise."

She shook her head, "You can't be with me at all times. I still have school and–"

"You honestly think I'm going to let you out of my sight now?" He cut her off, raising his eyebrows as his eyes remained locked with hers.

She sent him an annoyed glare at those words. She did not want to be stuck under his watch again. She couldn't go through all that again. As much as she was willing to see where this relationship would go, she absolutely did not want to go through the insanely possessive Alpha Derek again. She just couldn't. Already she was starting to see this new side of Derek instead of the angry, mysterious brooding side. It was the side she was meant to see to begin with. She couldn't risk going back to the same thoughts she had beforehand. Especially since she craved to be near him.

"I'm not going to be stuck under your constant watch like last time. I will not go through that again!" She pouted, crossing her arms over her chest as she stood her ground.

He chuckled in slight amusement, "You don't have a say, sweetheart. Not when your life is in jeopardy."

"You have an entire community of wolves who know how to fight and protect. I'll be fine!" She exclaimed, dropping her arms down by her sides as she let out a huff. "You can't keep me locked away again, Derek! It's not fair."

"I need to keep you safe! I can't keep you safe when you aren't with me." His stared bore into hers, giving her a look so intense it nearly made her submit to him. But she wasn't going to.

"I have people who can help keep me safe." She huffed, turning away from him to walk away. Derek had other plans however.

He chased after her, spinning her around once in reach and pushed her against the wall beside the door. He lowered his head so they were level with each other. His hands were clenched into fists, resting on the wall on both sides of her head.