14

xiv

xiv. HANGOVERS & DECISIONS

∞༺♥༻✧

Derek Hale |

THE NEXT MORNING DEREK WOKE UP WITH HIS MATE SAFE AND SOUND IN HIS ARMS. It was extremely comforting to know she was back in his embrace instead of left vulnerable and unprotected without him. Now he just needed to figure out how to keep her here safe with him after his encounter with some of the rogues yesterday. With their knowledge of her, he could only assume they would take advantage of her and use her against him. He was sure about one thing - they were not going anywhere near her. Even if he had to keep her stuck here again, he would do it in a heartbeat if it guaranteed her safety.

He froze when she unconsciously scooted more into him, her face buried in his chest and her hand clutching on his shirt. Figuring this moment would only be short lived until she woke, he enjoyed having her in his arms and her snuggle against him. This was something he'd been waiting for. To finally have the girl made for him within his embrace where he knew she was the safest. Even before he even met her, he dreamed of waking up with his other half in his arms.

He remembers all the stories his mom used to tell him all the time as a bed time story. She always told him the mate bond was the most sacred bond for a wolf. It was to never be taken lightly. They were a wolf's other half. No wolf would ever feel complete until they came across their other half. It was someone to love forever unconditionally. To always be by their side. There was no way for the bond to be severed, unless one of them died. But losing your mate was far worse than a meaningless heart break.

Losing your mate means losing a piece of you. When a wolf loses their mate, it causes the wolf a depression like never before. It can bring them to cause an endless destruction until the pain of a losing them kills them entirely. Wolves who had lost their mate always ended up dead or killed by their own kind due to the destruction they cause. And it was a feeling Derek wished to never go through.

Everything his mother used to tell him about mates were true. The feelings you immediately feel upon first seeing them are amazingly overwhelming. The desire to hold them and never let go. A fiery urge to mark them, to cover them in their scent so every other unmated wolf knew they were taken. All the things he was told as a child came to be true. He assumed he had enough information to be prepared for when his mate came into his life. But the extreme possessiveness he felt was something he was never prepared for.

Everyday was like a never ending battle with the beast inside him. It was a fight for control. His wolf pushed and clawed at him to take things further with her. Himself fought so hard to suppress his animal instincts to keep from scaring her even more. He hated himself for giving into his wolf. All he wanted and needed was for her to see he wasn't the monster. He wanted for her to believe he was never going to hurt her or let anyone hurt her. The only thing he could do was prove to her who he would've been before giving into his beast that night on the full moon. And he was going to do just that.