40

xl

xl. ANYTHING FOR FOREVER

Derek Hale |

DEREK FELT HIS CHEST ACHE PAINFULLY AS THE WOLF INSIDE HIM WHINED UNCONTROLLABLY. His eyes were wide with tears. He couldn't move himself from the spot he stood frozen in. When he heard Azalea let out a choked sob, he rushed over to her and pulled her into his arms, the two of them falling onto the floor together. Her body trembled as she sobbed into his chest, her hands clutching onto the white buttoned down dress shirt he was wearing.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, swallowing the harsh lump in his throat. "I'm so, so sorry baby. I should've told you."

She let out a shaky breath, shaking her head while pulling away from him. "Nothing makes me more sick than knowing I'm gonna have to sit here and watch you be with another girl."

Her words made Derek sick to his stomach. Even though he knew exactly what she was trying to say, he could see she was speaking of an underlying fear. He could see she was overthinking everything and was assuming this was a way to push him into the arms of another girl. One who was going to become the Luna of his pack.

"Sweetheart, nothing is going to get in the way of my relationship with you. I should've told you, and I'm sorry, but I was trying so hard to make them see I can run this pack myself until you're ready." He explained to her, frowning with her tear filled eyes looked into his glossy ones. He reached up to wipe away the fallen tears from her cheeks.

"I can't lose you, Derek. I fucking can't!" She cried. "I'm terrified all the time because of how strong my love is for you! I don't ever want to be away from you, and I can't picture a world where you're not in it. I need you more than I've ever needed anything else!

Her outburst shocked Derek to say the least. Those were words Derek has been dying to hear her finally say and let out. As happy as he was for him to get her to open up, he still felt incredibly bad for everything happening. None of this was fair and he hated how he couldn't just have his happy ending. It's been one thing after another and all he wanted was to break. All he wanted was to just focus on keeping this community strong, and taking care of his mate.

"Listen to me, baby. I'm gonna do whatever I can to prevent this from happening, okay? If I have to hand over leadership to Scott then I will. That way he and Allison can take over." He reached out to grasp her hands in his, giving her a pleading look.

"I can't make you do that to make me happy. You worked so hard to build this pack and community. Don't throw it away because of me." She whispered, looking down at their intertwined hands while sniffling.

He rubbed her knuckles with the pad of his thumb soothingly. "Sweetheart, there's nothing more important to me than you. If stepping down from my status means me and you would be forever, then I will. I wouldn't think twice about it."