37

xxxvii

xxxvii. PURE INSTINCT

Derek Hale |

DEREK PINCHED THE BRIDGE OF HIS NOSE AFTER SLAMMING HIS LAPTOP SHUT. After the quick meeting he had with his pack he decided to work on a few things from his office so he could focus. He knew if he tried to work from home he would just give all his focus onto Azalea. Not that he minded though. Right now his wolf felt content at the thought of going back home and giving all the attention to his mate. But he needed to focus on Alpha duties and he knew Azalea needed to have her own space. However he was agitated at the fact The Council would be making their arrival to the community tomorrow evening rather than coming in a week.

This made Derek stressed as not everything was exactly prepared for them. Most importantly, he still had to prepare Azalea for when she has to meet them. It would be tricky as she already thinks they're coming in a week. Not tomorrow. And Derek has the difficult task of telling her the bad news. In a way he was grateful though. The sooner they come the sooner they leave and Azalea wouldn't have to worry anymore, and neither would he. Except there was a feeling boiling in the pit of his stomach he couldn't shake. The Council has something planned and he has a feeling he isn't going to like it.

His eyes flashed red the moment he heard his office door open without the person knocking beforehand. He was ready to yell until his beautiful mate entered the office. Instantly he calmed at the sight of her as warmth flooded through his veins. His eyes followed her until she was arms lengths away. Wasting no time, he pulled her onto his lap and buried his face into her neck.

"Are you okay? I had a feeling something was wrong." She murmured with worry in her tone.

He felt his heart flutter at her words. His wolf was satisfied at the fact she was getting used to the bond and falling into instinct. It made him thrilled as they were finally on the right path. But like always, there's that one thing to set them back.

"I'm just really stressed over pack stuff and preparing for The Council's arrival, which is happening sooner than expected." He explained with a sigh, pulling his face from her neck to look her in the eyes.

She furrowed her eyebrows curiously, "Sooner than expected?"

He sighed, knowing this was going to take a turn. Maybe cause a fight he didn't want. "They announced to me earlier they would be arriving tomorrow evening. Instead of staying for three days, they'll be staying for two."

Silence fell upon them. He sat there waiting for her to panic and pull away from him. When no reaction came, he tried calming down his wolf but he still felt nervous with her silence. He wanted to know what was running through her mind. Was she planning to run again? Move out and away from him? It brought him anxiety not knowing what she was feeling or thinking.