44

xliv

xliv. ALPHA'S WAY OR THE HIGHWAY...

∞༺♥༻✧

Derek Hale |

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A WHILE, DEREK FELL ASLEEP WITHOUT HIS MATE IN HIS ARM'S. though she was still sleeping in the same bed as him, she was far from him on the edge. he could tell she was wide awake though from the rhythm of her heart rate. he stared at the back of her, the urge to hold her in his arms so strong it was painful for him not to. he wasn't used to not having her body tangled with his while they peacefully slept. and he hated it. he couldn't fall asleep, he was insanely restless from the distance between them now.

"baby..." he mumbled in such a soft voice it didn't sound like himself. he heard her let out a shaky breath making him gulp. "this doesn't change anything."

she didn't say anything. all she did was hug the blankets closer to her, clenching her jaw in attempt to fight back the tears. sensing this, derek moved closer to her to test the waters. his place his hand on her waist causing her to tense instantly but soon relax seconds after. his eyes stayed locked on her as he pushed himself further over to her.

"talk to me, please," he pleaded softly as he swallowed the lump in his throat. his eyes watched as her hands tightened their hold on the blanket. "i should have told you, okay? i'm an idiot and i'm sorry."

she shook her head, "i don't want to be here as long as she's the luna." those words made his chest ache painfully. "knowing she gets more time with you than i will... i just don't want to be here."

derek gulped, "it doesn't change anything between us, azalea, i promise. you're still going to have me to yourself." his words were true. he wasn't going to let anyone take him away from her and he was going to make sure he got as much time with her as possible. but something about the way lucy had that look in her eyes earlier... it didn't seem right.

"it's always one thing after another, derek, like one second we're good then immediately something happens right after." she whispered, still continuing to face away from him.

"i know and i'm so sorry, okay? i keep screwing up and not thinking but believe me when i say nothing will pull me away from you." he tried to reassure her but his words weren't seeming to do any justice. he could sense all the negative emotions radiating off of her and it made him sick to his stomach. he knew he was a significant part in playing in how she was feeling.

she let out a quiet cry, "i feel so defeated, derek, you don't understand. i don't belong here and i don't think i ever will. it shouldn't be this hard for us."