29

xxix

xxix. RIPPING HEARTS

Derek Hale |

DEREK SNARLED ANGRILY AS HIS PAWS HIT THR FOREST FLOOR WITH HEAVY THUDS. A large group followed behind him as he continued running to the location of the howl he heard. He knew it was Peter calling for help. It just had to be. And he hoped and prayed that Azalea was with him at the location.

His body ached tremendously the longer he was apart from his mate. It's been a little over a day and he promised her no more than forty eight hours. And he also promised her she would be safe and okay at Shawn's territory. However he did not expect Gerard to capture them not long after he left her with Peter and Victoria. He was angry, too angry. At the whole situation but mostly himself. He felt as if he kept failing to keep his mate safe. She deserved better than him.

His wolf snarled angrily at him for thinking such pitying thoughts. No one knew this would've happen and certainly it was out of anyone's control. The only person at fault was Gerard and he was not going to see another day. He didn't care. He wanted him dead for putting his community at jeopardy, especially with his mate being held hostage.

"Alpha Hale, we're closing in on the warehouse. We have also caught sight of Peter, Victoria, and your mate." One of the warriors mind linked Derek making his wolf growl in anticipation at getting his mate back.

"Perfect. Remember what we planned. You all know what groups you are in and what areas to surround." Derek said in an ordering tone, everyone immediately scattering to where they needed to go.

Derek growled lowly, staring at the warehouse in front of him. This was it. He was finally going to get his mate back. And this time, he was determined to keep her safe and protected more than ever. He wasn't going to let her out of his sight ever again.

He shifted back into his human form, eyes still blazing red as he slipped on a pair of basketball shorts the pack kept around the woods when they shift back to their human form. He stood in front of the back entrance of the warehouse, studying his surrounding and using his senses. Once he deemed it clear, he quietly stepped inside and instantly growled at the smell of his mate's scent mixed in with her own blood.

Knowing there was a hunter right behind him with his alert senses, he swiftly turned around and grab the hunter by his throat. Knocking the gun out of his enemy's hand, he slammed the human into the wall and used his claws to slice open his throat. He watched the life slip from the hunter's eyes and let him fall limp to the wooden floor.

"A bit excessive, don't ya think?" Shawn said as he came up behind Derek, seeing the dead hunter lying lifeless on the floor.